Thread: Fuel Mileage

Hybrid View

Default Fuel Mileage

Just drove a 2006 XL-II 1300 miles from Missouri to Florida. The best average mileage I could get was 5.3 MPG. Obviously there is something not right. I would think 6.5 should be average. Seems I have to get into the turbo more than any other coach I have driven. Any ideas for Detroit Diesel to check on?

#1 suspect would be a turbo leak. A clogged injector might be suspect but would check the clamps and turbo case first. Don't know your experience so pardon if you considered use of generator.....Typically about a gallon an hour.

How fast? I don't get much more than that when running 70-75 mph. I can get better by slowing down of course.

Nealnfl,

Is the 5.3 the reading from the ProDriver or are you calculating it the old fashion way: total miles / gallons used. If you are using the ProDriver be sure to set it back to zero.

Brian brings up a good point, are you running the generator with 3 CruiseAirs running?

What are you towing?

How fast are you driving?

All of the above have to do with mpg.

I must admit though I get 7.2 mpg towing a Honda Pilot driving 65 mph and 7.7 not towing anything. If I slow down to 60 mph and not towing a vehicle I can get 8.0
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Speaking of fuel mileage - has anyone noticed that the price of diesel is EQUAL to the price of REGULAR unleaded gasoline!

What's up with that? Remember when it was .50 per gallon more expensive!

I noticed that equality of price at two different truck stops in my home town. The truck stops are locally owned (not Flying Js or TA, etc.)
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

The 06 would have the EGR engine and if you drove 75 mph or more 5.3 would not be too far off,I would check the codes in the message center display,but since you did not say anything about a CEL I doubt you have a problem.

Tuga I can remember when diesel was cheaper than regular gas.

Wish the was the case in MA. High octane gas is 3.83 with Diesel at 4.23 recently dropped to 4.12 but the upcoming holiday is driving the price back up