Thread: Prevost Unique Maintenance Items

Default Prevost Unique Maintenance Items

It's common to see some pretty old Prevost still enjoying life on the road. By RV standards, not Prevost standards, my 99 would be considered pretty old. What does it take to keep these buses going? What are those unique maintenance items we all need to know about. I'm not talking routine oil changes and wiper blade replacements, but those things we wouldn't know of unless we had Prevost experience.

One such item is the small round foam rubber gaskets that fit over the rod that holds our side windows opened or closed. As these age they shrink, get hard and brittle, and eventually break away. Well before failure they will no longer seal that hole the rod goes through to support the window. The result, if not parked on level ground, is water coming in around that hole. I just replaced all 10. They aren't cheap at $4.49 each. Had I had more time I probably could have found a 25 cent replacement. At $50 my windows should be good to go for several more years.

BTW, I replaced all of my air bags given recommendations from others and the fact I don't want a failure on our trip to Alaska. FWIW, the bags on this 98 chassis with 85K miles looked just fine. Another person at Prevost-Jacksonville with me had 150K miles on his 16 year old bus and wasn't considering changing his.

What else should I be looking at?

Gil

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Hi Gil. Ya never know. But there are items which over the years have come up by POG owners.

Simpler things; Norgren valves, solonoids, relays, fuses, breakers , belts, sensors, air struts, Isri air seat valves,
    passenger floor slide piston, lamps, batteries, inverter, air compressor, water pump, toilet valves,
    water heater, webasto parts, awnings, and so on.

More complex: A/C system, OTR, Generator, Alternator, Voltage regulators, Fan clutch, Wheel bearings, Rods and coupler bushings,
    Engine, transmission, Radiator, shocks, air bags, tires.

Of coarse a Level 3 Service will help to catch many issues before a long trip, there will be things you can not anticipate.
    You should stock up on items which are easy to change out like breakers, fuses, solonoids, norgren valves, some air fittings,
    relays, sensors, belts, lamps, etc.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Lightbulb

Change out brake chambers, brake hoses, brake pads and adjust and be sure slak adjusters are adjusted and functional, diesel fuel lines in engine compartment MAY SUCK AIR and NOT SHOW UP AS A LEAK. Check your fan clutch and idler pulley bearings. Take along an extra windshield and store it in your closet.

Plus what has been mentioned.

JIM

I also remembered the hoses. Check the rubber hoses in the engine compartment . Even if they look ok, the temps and age in the engine compartment will make them brittle and will crack and break. There's several hoses from the coolant reservoir which should be replaced.
    Also, the air bags for the belts and air bags for the generator can leak , so carry a spare or two.
    Spare 12 guage wire, splices, electrician tape, duct tape, rope, tie wraps and so on.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Sounds like you need a trailer to haul it all!