Hello,
I've always towed my car with a trailer (or many times didn't bring a car on trips) but have recently decided to try towing car with wheels on ground. I've never done it before and am interested in learning all of the ins and outs of it. I guess the upside is you can disconnect and use it in a matter of a minute or two as opposed to undoing tie downs, putting ramps out, etc with the trailer (not to mention then have to find place to park trailer). Anyway, i'm looking at a used Chevy Tahoe two door as a possible tow car.

The reason i'm consider this is because it is relatively short, not too heavy (approx 4600lbs), has bench seat across front for total seating for six and is four wheel drive with good off-road capabilities for some of the wilderness exploring we like to do. So my question is would this be a suitable vehicle to use as a tow car? Would there be any downside to towing this vehicle? Also, how much impact does a car of this size have on fuel mileage?

I will be towing it with a Marathon XLII that we just made a deal on with Marathon in Oregon.