Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow car advice

Default Tow car advice

Hello,
    I've always towed my car with a trailer (or many times didn't bring a car on trips) but have recently decided to try towing car with wheels on ground. I've never done it before and am interested in learning all of the ins and outs of it. I guess the upside is you can disconnect and use it in a matter of a minute or two as opposed to undoing tie downs, putting ramps out, etc with the trailer (not to mention then have to find place to park trailer). Anyway, i'm looking at a used Chevy Tahoe two door as a possible tow car.

The reason i'm consider this is because it is relatively short, not too heavy (approx 4600lbs), has bench seat across front for total seating for six and is four wheel drive with good off-road capabilities for some of the wilderness exploring we like to do. So my question is would this be a suitable vehicle to use as a tow car? Would there be any downside to towing this vehicle? Also, how much impact does a car of this size have on fuel mileage?

I will be towing it with a Marathon XLII that we just made a deal on with Marathon in Oregon.

Also, forgot to mention the Tahoe is a '98 in case that makes any difference with towing/electrical hookup.

If your Tahoe is a 4 wheel drive it should be towable on all 4. Here's agood guide: http://towingworld.com/PDFS/DinghyGuide2011.pdf

In my opinion, wheels down towing is the only way to go if you can get bywith a wheels down towable vehicle. The biggest differences in opinion arewhat, if anything, to use for a supplemental braking system for the towedvehicle. My opinion is that one of the two air driven proportional systems isthe way to go. The M&G system will not fit a lot of late model vehicles. Iuse SMI's Air Force One, which will fit on almost any vehicle. A simple airhose connects the towed vehicle to your coach and it has the most important (myopinion again) break-away capability. Some will argue the coach has plenty ofreserve braking capacity or that these systems aren't required by law. In manycases the state laws are being misinterpreted. Aside from that, don't you wantyour towed vehicle to have some form of stopping on its own in the unlikelyevent it departs from your coach?

To prevent the flames that likely follow, let me say that I'm offering myopinion and that a supplemental braking system is required by the state ofFlorida where my coach is registered.

Gil

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

We are towing an '05 Tahoe with an M&G brake system. We are very happy with this setup. This is the 3rd vehicle we have had the M&G installed on and consider it the best and simplist of of the choices. As to mileage, we are getting about 7.5 mpg. The 5200lb Tahoe costs one mpg at worst. We use a Roadmaster Falcon towbar with a Protect A Tow rock shield. Working together my wife and I hook up and unhook in about 3 minutes.

If you plan on towing in Canada you are required to have a brake system with break away stopping capability. In the states, the consensus seems to be that the requirements of the state the vehicle is registered in prevails.
    Last edited by BrianE; 06-11-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Hi Robert,

I have been towing a 2003 Escalade for about 3 years now. I had a drive-shaft disconnect put on and that has worked fine. As far as fuel consumption - I have not really noticed much difference between towing the car and not towing it. It takes me less than 5 minutes to hook up and to unhook.

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Gil,
    Is the supplemental braking system fairly easy to install or something would need to have done by professional?
    Thanks,
    Bob

PS: btw- nice CountryCoach! I really like that paint design and color scheme...very classy.

Thanks. Would it be safe to say that coach brakes would wear out faster if we didn't use a supplemental system and that should weigh in to the equation? Also, has anyone ever heard of a vehicle breaking loose on highway?

I installed my M&G brake system on a 1500 Silverado and on a Saturn Vue,I did the break-away on the truck.The Truck was much easier than the Saturn,you must also run an air line from the rear brakes on the bus to a fitting that will be mounted to the rear of the bus.I don't think that it is too hard just don't get in a hurry and follow instructions,the M&G has been perfect for 5 years.

Also, I had heard that it is a little easier with a car with manual transmission because you don't have to start car every so many miles. Is that accurate?

I don't know about the older 4 wheel drive GM stuff but the 2007 and newer 4WD trucks do not have a steering wheel lock and when you take the transfer case out of gear then you put it in park and turn the key off,therefore you do not pull fuses or have to worry about the battery discharging.