Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tow car advice

Bob,

I've installed the Air Force One system in a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2012 Ford Explorer, both pretty straight forward installs. FWIW, the M&G system would not have fit either of these vehicles. I did not do the install on the part that goes on the coach because I'm not crawling under it. On this bus and my Beaver Contessa it cost less than $200 to have someone do the on coach installation. I also installed the Roadmaster base plates in both. My preference is Roadmaster over Blue Ox. Others will lean toward Blue Ox.

Without supplemental braking yoiur coach will have more weight to stop. I don't think it makes a big impact on brake wear on the coach simply because the supplemental braking systems shouldn't be braking as hard as the coach. The last thing you want is to have the towed vehicle braking so hard that it's attempting to stop the bus.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I bought a 92 CC last year and just tool my first trip pulling a 2005 Suburban 4WD. Easy as pie.

Two observations:

1. Had to return my AF-1 and install an M&G as my Chevy has a brake booster that runs on power strering fluid and not vac. Love the Blue Ox baseplate. Can't even tell it is there.

2. Got a little paranoid as everyome I looked at my rear camera it looked like the same white SUV was following me!

Thanks everyone for all of the very valuable advice/information. Definitely answered my questions. You all really make the POG a great resource.

We towed an Escalade for several years with no problems except - the braking system we used drew a lot of juice when in the mountains and would discharge the car battery - there is a kit to trickle charge from the coach. Well worth it.

Would a Nissan Xterra 4x4 with manual transmission be a good choice as a tow car? I'm thinking it might be better than my first choice (older model Tahoe) because it is a little lighter and more compact but want to be sure that there is no downside to it.

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

We tow a 2012 Lincoln MKX 4-down. We have the Blue Ox plate, the Aventa hitch and the SMI braking system. Here below is a user feedback statement I sent to SMI just a few days ago.

Sometime in late 2011 I purchased the Air Force One system through Luxury Coach Sales & Service in Marion, OH and had it installed at their facility.
    I have since driven our Prevost bus, towing a 2012 Lincoln MKX, for about 8,000 miles.
    The system has performed flawlessly.
    I have been in a very tight spot very recently, driving through NJ, when I approached a hidden fork on the Interstate, on the other side of a small hill, and found myself staring at 2 cars stopped dead in my lane.

Apparently, the car in the front had missed the fork and wanted to exit left, whereas it was stopped on the right.
    I had no warning and could also not switch lanes. All I could do is hit the brakes and watch…..
    Fortunately, I was able to stop 54,000 lbs. worth of Prevost just in time. There were probably only 2-3 inches of space left between me and the stopped car in front of me.
    I also watched in amazement when the first car pulled over to the left, crossed a couple of lanes to exit using the left fork.
    In any event, I was able to stop the bus and our tow, which stayed in a straight line behind us.
    I do not know how a different braking system would have worked but can tell you I was very happy to see our tow straight behind us and undamaged.
    Air Force One … highly recommended.

I had the installation done professionally and the total cost for the complete towing package, including adding separate
    LED brake lights for the SMI system, inside the original housing, came to about $4600 which I consider money well spent. The SMI is a semi-permanent installation since all the components are "under the hood". It is being activated by connecting a small diameter air hose between the car and the bus. Other than the actuator bracket permanently attached to the brake pedal inside the MKX, as well as a nifty red LED on a cord which attaches via Velcro to the back of the rearview mirror and can be observed in your rearview camera, there are no other parts inside the towed vehicle.