Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DO YOU KNOW YOUR COACH, IF IT HAD TO BE TOWED??

Default DO YOU KNOW YOUR COACH, IF IT HAD TO BE TOWED??

This article was written by a friend of mine - As well as being extremely knowledgable about the Towing Industry he is also a Prevost Owner.

http://prevost-stuff.com/John_Hawkins_Tow_Article.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Where did I read or did I read that Allison Transmissions says to not tow one of our coaches even 150 feet?
    What is the answer??? Does any one know? What do we do?
    I am wondering if the comment was made at United Engines in OK City a couple of years ago.
    This picture here shows the coach under way? What did they do to get it that way?
    Did they in fact take the U-joint out? Does the transmission still turn?
    Pres

I had mine towed last summer in Fl. They removed the drive axle to tow it rather than disconnecting the U-joint.

O K Gang:
    Rather than guess any longer, I took the steps necessary to get a truly professional opinion regarding my questions. I called United Engines in Oklahoma City, OK which many of you will remember from the POG meeting held there about two years ago. After a discussion with Andy there, he referred me to Car Cab Towing (800 670 6114). United Engines uses them nation wide ( at least in 33 states where they operate.) Glenn at Car Cab stated that under no circumstance should the coach be towed even 200 feet without relieving the transmission.
    They use two processes:

Number 1)
    If the Prevost has on its rear axles a cap that is called a "high hat", approximately four of the lugs holding on the cover for the axle and the wheel are one and the same. If they encounter this problem, they generally will have to disconnect the drive axle if they can get under the coach... understanding the risks that entails. He stated it is almost impossible in the field to be able to remove the axle and wheel required given most normal roadside difficult situations.

Number 2)
    If, once the chrome covering on the rear axle is removed it reveals a moon shaped seal held in place with several small lug nuts, these will be removed and the axle taken out of the rear end thus disabling the turning function and allowing the coach to be towed. I happen to have this type of rear end covering.
    He further stated they have "under lifts" which are required for towing which lift the front of the coach as demonstrated in the picture provided in the earlier thread. He stated if their low boy long trailer is used, the coach would still be about 17 feet tall and that is an obvious problem. Car Cab Towing was most helpful and I am adding their name to my list of potential vendors I hope to never have to use.
    Pres

Ok Gang.....I think that terminology is getting in the way here. #1..You don't remove the drive axle as previously stated. You remove the hub cap or the decorative cap if there is one revealing what is called the drive hub. On the drive hub will be the axle shaft with numerous nuts and you remove one axle shaft from either side of the coach. Sometimes employing a sledge hammer beating on the axle shaft facilitates its removal. Be sure to have a container to catch the gear lube that will come out of the hub when the shaft is loosened. Cover the removed axle shaft with a garbage bag to keep it clean for reinstallation. Also cover the hole with card board or plastic to keep the gear lube from leaking out more while being towed. "KISS" rules are to be remembered.
    Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Not that it matters but I stated that the axle was to be removed. I don't think I said the drive axle but I may have. I do think if you have the more difficult type, you have to disconnect the drive shaft. I really do not know how long or where the drive shaft is underneath the coach. Being a rear engine / rear drive...how long is the drive shaft?
    But at least you agree with the analysis? It really sounds like a mess.
    Keep me straight.
    Pres

Whether to pull the axels or remove the drive shaft should be left up to the tow operator. Some drivers feel confident under the coach, some don't.
    ALWAYS allow the tow operator to make this choice. If an accident happens, you will not be to blame.

When we have to tow a coach, here what we prefer to see:
    First choice - Load the coach onto a 'Landoll' style tilting trailer.
    Second choice - Remove driveline
    Third choice - Remove axels

Ok Capt Mogul is correct in his description as to how mine was towed. I guess my terminology was wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by sswindle14260 View Post
    I had mine towed last summer in Fl. They removed the drive axle to tow it rather than disconnecting the U-joint.
    Actually this is the correct terminology. The 'drive axle' is the shaft that would need to be removed from the 'axle housing' to tow the vehicle without the differentian turning the transmission.

We just attended a Wild Bunch rally in Sevierville and they had a "towing" seminar - A local company sent out a big rig tow truck with the proper lifts. The seminar was well attended and extremely well received - I think a towing seminar would be a great idea at any rally, but especially at Las Vegas.
    Ken Robertson
    Parliament Motor Coach - 727-748-5986