Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach won't shift into gear

Unhappy Coach won't shift into gear

I wonder if it could be the shifter control module. Our '92 Country Coach with Allison HT755CR transmission all of a sudden has decided not to shift into any gear. It has a selector module that does not allow for one to see any error codes...its a classic style. The "do not shift" is not illuminated. The emergency brake and been pushed and pulled a dozen times, the brake is depressed and engine and tranny warm and she will not shift out of Neutral. The neutral button is illuminated. The Drive and Reverse have been pushed in all manner of way with pens and fingers with no luck. Tranny fluid is fine. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The last time I saw this thread, it was time to replace the pad. There was some luck in using the end of a pencil eraser pressing hard which got them going. If you can look at the wire cable connection, un plug it and plug it back in, that might re boot it.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

If it is on high idle that will prevent engaging D or R!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Its not on high idle and has always worked perfectly before this. Outside temp is in the 70s - 80s. Of course I've restarted the coach several times. Ill try removing the module and then reconnecting it and see if that helps.

Same transmission, same problem, although it would sometimes shift if you held the button down with a pencil for a few seconds. A rebuilt unit from http://www.gendieselect.com/ fixed it right up. Can't find the invoice but it was reasonable compared to Prevost.

You might try shutting the bus power off with the main battery disconnect for a couple of minutes and then trying to shift after starting.
    Its rare, but sometimes a 'reboot' of the ecm will fix the problem.

Michael, did you solve your problem? The same happened to Ed & I one time when we just pulled on to the side of the road and put her in neutral. We still had the engine running and then got ready to travel again, it wouldn't go out of neutral. We shut the engine down and then restarted & had no problem after that.
    As you see, I am just the wife here, the afternoon driver(relax time for Ed), but always asking questions to learn. Would the"over ride" button help any?
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Michael,

You should have a ATEC switch in the compartment below the driver's seat. If you switch the ATEC switch and then turn the key on you should get a series of flashes on the transmission telltale light on the dash. The Prevost manual has a page with codes for the ATEC flashes. This may help you determine the problem. If you get no codes then I would suspect the keypad. Allison Transmission has a US toll free service number 800.524.2303 that you may want to give a call. Good luck. I had a speed sensor go out in the transmission years ago and the bus would not shift. However, the ATEC switch gave me the code to determine it was the speed sensor. Good luck.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Here is something worth a try that will not take much time and might (might) solve the problem or at least help in further diagnosis.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Press Neutral / drive / reverse 3 times: N D R N D R N D R

Depnding on the the type of code, this may clear it.

It is the sequence from Detroit to clear some codes....

Good Luck,

Pat Sprenger
    COach Pro LLC

Thanks for the great info. I tried turning the coach off and on a number of times...I even disconnected and reconnected the batteries without success. I also tried the N/D/R sequence 3 times and more without success. When I flipped the ATEC switch in the steering compartment below the drivers seat I got 2 quick flashes followed by 3 quick flashes on the "Check TRAN" light cycling over and over again...error code 23. In the Prevost manual that corresponds to a Shift Selector (Primary) problem. Thus, I guess I need to find a new or remanufactured shift selector. I had one quote already of $3,800. I passed. I'll keep searching till I find one that is a bit more reasonably priced. You guys have been great, Mike

Just spoke with the gentleman at http://www.gendieselect.com/ and he told me he would charge me $220.00 to send my unit in and have him "remanufacture" it or rebuild it such that it has a new keypad and works perfectly. I think Ill try that since jimblu seems to have had success with him. Thanks Jimblu!
    Last edited by BillhymerMD; 06-04-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: additional information