Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XL2 panel delamination

Default XL2 panel delamination

As I mentioned that while in Prevost JAX, I watched the work on 2 XL2's that were having the panel repair job done. I had a leak test done before we left because of the water damage we are having on our machine in the right and left bays # 3. I called this morning to get the quote, It looks like the cost on a non slide will be around $ 34,000 and a slide coach around $ 37,000. As there are 251 XL2's with reported delamination I would expect this problem to effect most machines out there. If I were a new buyer I would think I would discount a used machine the $ 30-40,000 range unless the repairs were made.
    I guess RIVITS RULE.
    Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Even if repairs have been made Jax told me that there was no guarantee that it could not happen again,also that they could not predict that it would ever happen.I owned a Piper Malibu many years ago and the wing skins were bonded to the wing with glue,if that can be done why can,t Prevost do it on a bus,the temperature from sea level to 25,000 feet is over 125 difference degrees sometimes.I did see a 2005? Marathon that Jax was re doing the skins for the 2nd time.

Thank goodness I bought a H model, but guess they have problems too! maybe not as bad. Why can't they repair them with rivets? or is that the way they fix them? Gary

I have been thinking on this subject for a little while, If there are over 250 units that have this problem why is Prevost not stepping up to the plate, This is a bad glue used by Prevost Seems they should recall those affected, 250 X 35000 8million seven hundred fifty thousand out of owners pockets. I believe if I had a XL with these problems I would be knocking at there door. Just my thoughts! Gary

I saw a 2006 Liberty at Jax that was repaired with rivets on the leading and trailing edge of each panel then they glued a strip of stainless over the rivets,it looked really very good,I think that I would go that route if I had problems.

Jack, does it affect 2008 thru 2012 XLII's

The tech at Jax told me it was like cancer,no one has been able to predict which ones might be affected.I also asked if it seemed to matter if a coach was garaged and his answer was"we don't think that it matters".

I use Jacksonville Prevost on a routine basis. Each time I am in there they have units with panel issues. Some are under warranty and some are not. Don't understand how they determine who gets what because some are new and some have been five and six years old. They have tried several different adhesives at this point and none are working. The general feeling is they are all leaking. Some more than others. A Bus that is outside most of it's life will have leaks in the bay's. A Bus that is garaged is protected from the rain and leaks will be unnoticed behind interior walls. They have built a blower devise to find adhesion issues. It fits against the drivers window. They spray soap on the exterior of the Bus and pressurize the interior with the blower. Bubbles appear at the leak points. They are now experimenting with rivits under the belt moldings.

As far as I know all the above is public knowledge. If this Post should be censored please do so and I will not be offended.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim

When you say a bus left outside most of the time will develop leaks in the bays - does this mean there is basically nothing you can do short of keeping the bus under cover? Will putting a sealer on the roof help this at all? A friend of mine with an XL had the roof sealed last year and said he can tell a big difference with how the bus cools - I was just wondering if this will help the moisture issue also?

Thanks

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

A Bus outside will be exposed to more rain than one inside a garage or under cover. Large amounts of water will increase the possibility of some of it making its way to the storage bays. Roof sealant will help with Bus temperature but not water leaks on the sides.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty