Thread: Red Light on Dash

Default Red Light on Dash

I have been experiencing a situation where the red battery dash light illuminates periodically. After starting the bus it will start to come on about five minutes into driving. It begins by flickering and then after 15 or 20 minutes it will be glowing red. Once stopped it may stay on for a while or flicker or yesterday it went off. Then when I started coach again 15 minutes later it was back on. Here are the things I have done:

Adjusted alternator output to confirm it was within parameters

Replaced Vanner battery monitor

Checked all Battery terminals

Other than the light there doesnt appear to be anything wrong. It does seem to flicker when accelerating making me think a loose connection or ground but I wouldnt know wherer to begin to look. I am thinkin about once it illuminates to begin removing connectors off the Vanner to try and isolate it that way....any thoughts,should I just sell the coach?
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Gran,
    Would think it more likely the field connection is being interrupted than the light circuit. The internal field connection in the alternator is typically not very robust. Would think an alternator shop bench test would be a good place to start.

Could be the Voltage Regulator. What do your voltages read on the dash when the engine is running.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Granville, Give Ben a call at Coachworx.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

The voltage is just around 27.... Will do Jim, Coachworx had it and thought the voltage was too high. Adjusted down , didn't work, I changed Vanner based on Prevost recommendation ....how have you guys been..headed to NC in a few weeks, would like to see you this summer
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

There is a small solid state regulator ,Delco, located high above your batteries, which regulates the chasis charging voltages . I had to replace mine when my dash board voltages were not reading correctly. It is a Prevost Part.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

The batteries appear to be charging normally,in fact, the charging voltage was turned down because it was slightly high. As Brian said could just be alternator might be getting defective,had it at Prevost and they could not determine,told me to replace Vanner.
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Granvil, In the For What its worth catagory, this happened to me several years ago and after chasing my tail for several weeks, changed chassis batteries and the red light stopped coming on. The batteries checked ok, but I'll guess one of them had an issue that was messing up the balance circuit.

Good luck!

Thanks Mike, the batteries did load check ok, but you never know. I am going to try removing the wires off the Vanner one at a time to see if maybe I can isolate it that way. The weird thing is that it takes about 5-10 minutes before it comes on and then it begins by flickering and finally it stays on bright red. When I shut down and restart it may not come back on until I drive it again for the same 5-10 mins. So, I'm thinking if it's a bad battery it would be consistent,it has to be something that heats up as I drive.
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2