Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE?

Default WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE?

We know the tape measure but to the left of it? What is it?

Sorry, pic is upside down!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

OK I'll Bite. What is it ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

We left Key West last Wed. heading for a wedding in Dothan Al. As we passed through Miami the engine warning and engine shutdown light came on and we lost power for a few seconds. We pulled over to check things out. All systems were OK so we proceeded North but lights came on 3 more times before we stopped for the night in Arcadia. Next morning things didn't improve so we decided to make a stop at DDA in Tampa. They said they couldn't work on it but could run a test on the ECM ( engine Electronic Control Module) Everything checked out with no faults recorded. The tech remarked that the ECM was most likely on its last legs, but may work for a while. We decided to head North. We were having more and more shutdowns so we headed for Orlando. We stopped at Dougs shop in Sanford and had a DDA tec work all day on Saturday trying to figure the problem out. He finally installed a test ECM and we left the next morning for Dothan. Shutdown lights started as soon as we started out but the machine kept running. Real problems started just before Perry Fl..Engine stopped completley and we coasted to a stop on the side of US 19. Anyone of you folks who know that area know how desolate that area is. Got my book stuff out and found Prevost Action line 800 line, talked to the Area Service rep who suggested taking it to Jacksonville. Much to my supprise the machine started (we found that when the engine sat 1/2 to i hour it would run for 10 to 20 min.) so we got moving and decided to head for Prevost Jacksonville. After 4 more shutdowns we finally reached I 10 and found a towing service for a Monday morning tow on a hang truck. Stay tuned for CHAPTER 2

Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma

Jim, you have to wait for now. Other work calls me this second. Wait for chapter 2! This afternoon.
    Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma

Please keep us posted......
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Looks like a corroded light bulb socket to me. Waiting to hear as Paul Harvey used to say "The rest of the story"

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Ed & Sandy, Are you stuck on the side of the road now ? If so, how can we help ? We are here in Florida and willing to do what ever.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Corroded wire crimp connection is what it looks like in one of the storage compartments. Don't know the relation to the measuring tape.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Ed,

I spoke to Dan Smith yesterday on our way to Columbus, GA. I thought I understood him to say that you and Sandy were in Diamondhead? Hope you guys get your problem fixed soon.

Could it be one of the shut down sensors: low oil pressure, high water temp, etc. If it starts up after 30 minutes or so my guess is it's electrical.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Chapter 2: After a 2 hour trip to Prevost Jacksonville, the hang truck backed us up to bay 4. Jason the Prevost tec. started looking for the problem at once. He had me start the engine, thank goodness it started, and soon it quit. Jason asked me if I had shut it off, I said no and had thought he had. I tried to start it again but no luck. After all the work we had done previosly, Jason found where the trouble was by grabbing the ECM wiring harness near the ECM power plug. The short story, we had 12 volts, they hooked a lamp in series and would not light,no amps, so they checked the power wires and found the bad connections. I still can not believe the engine will run on copper oxide. I mean there is not one strand of wire in this connection. When it decided to fail, resistance built up, got hot and acted like a curcuit breaker and stopped current flow. Once it cooled off, the engine would run untill it got hot again. These are the power wires to the ECM coming from the junction box over the engine with 10A breakers. Go figure. It appears that Prevost soldered two different size wires ( acid core solder?) together. We were on the road within two days.
    On another subject, during our two days there, we were able to observe a few things. We have numerous water leaks on our machine and are trying to find the best way to resolve this issue. Lucky for us we found two other XLII in the shop for side delamination, so we were able to observe the repair procedures. We were told there are over 250 XLIIs on record with this problem, ours is 251. The opinion is that IT IS NOT IF, BUT WHEN the rest of the fleet will develop this problem, no matter what the year. One that I saw had the fiberglass section between the front and rear slide removed because it was leaking. These repairs are $15,000 tho $ 50,000 is more like it. This is depending if Prevost is willing to help. Prevost's fix is to caulk the panels and flush rivet them. Then glue a cover plate over them.I am frugal and I plan ( for now) to go with button head exterior rivits. I know from experience, they don't make that much more noise. It is true "Rivets Rule".

Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma