Thread: FMCA Michelin Tire Discount Program Experience

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Default FMCA Michelin Tire Discount Program Experience

I took advantage of the current FMCA member deal and purchased 7 new tires for Olivia. The 8th was fairly new, having been replaced at the end of lastbyear due to a deep cut in the sidewall.

The new tires were mounted, yesterday, and this morning, the FMCA sent me the invoice.

Here is the breakdown:

4x 365/70 R 22.5 XZA = $1582.71/each, less discount $993.35 = net $589.36 + FET $33.08

3x 315/80 R 22.5 XZA2 = $1492.62/each, less discount $906.44 = net $586.18 + FET $52.83

Plus balancing etc. and FL sales tax, for a total invoice amount of $5,179.65 for 7 tires.

Good information Ron. Thanks for the Thread.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I know that their deal cannot be beaten,but I am surprised that the 365 cost less that the 315 when the FET is added into the total.

I was thinking the same but this may be due to the fact, that the 365 is available only as an XZA, whereas the 315 comes in an XZA2 flavor.

I'm a little confused. You show a base price of around $1500 for each tire, minus a discount around $900, for a final price of near $600.00. I've just never have heard of a $1500 price on these tires. I don't remember what I paid last time at Prevost, but is was in the $600 neighborhood. Have tires gone up that much, or is this a bit of a hype to make the discount look better than real?

ray

Hi Ray,
    in capital letters, it is all HYPE. These $$$ numbers were copied direct from the FMCA confirmation email.
    Let's just say what counts in the end is the bottom line.
    I do also question the validity of the tire dealer's remark that he could not buy the tires at the prices I paid.
    Come on, does he really do it just for the $26 mounting fee?!?!!!!!
    It's like what you see during department store sales, where they discount items on the reack by 30-40-50-60-70 or whatever percent. What they do not say is "off of 150% over-priced merchandise" ... :-)
    Cheers,
    Ronald

I just purchased 2 Michelin 315/80R22.5 thru FMCA discount: total drive out the store price was $740 each (includes everything including EQUAL).

I was quoted $1975 for 2 Michelins from a local dealer so I guess I did o.k.

Ray,

Yes tires have gone up quite a bit. I looked back in my records and I paid about $400 more for the tires I bought today compared to 2007 when I first bought tires for my present coach; that's about a 40% increase over 5 years (8% per year).

Ouch!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I've never found cheaper tires than what Prevost in Mira Loma has quoted. Always in the $500.00-600.00 price range.
    Locally, Ive been quoted $1000.00 for 365's.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

9. Default

To help clear the air. Michelin has there base price or MSRP which ever you want to call it and then discount based on that price. We are a Michelin Advantage dealer and I can tell you folks that this is a good program. This has killed my michelin tire business but I try to tell my customers about the program and all of them have bought tires through it. My wholesale tire dist. also sells big amounts of tires to Lazy Days and Lazy Days told them not to mention it to anyone. The real Michelin dealers make their money back in the way of manufacturer rebaits and incentives. As far a tire increases, Michelin incrementally raised the price of tires about 20% in 12 months. I hope this helps

Michael Bell
    Owner / Partner
    Coach Worx LLC

Michael is correct. I've bought Michelins through both the FMCA and Monaco owners club. These are both national accounts managed by Michelin--not the local dealers. Not all tire centers honor national accounts and at least one that was supposed to refused to do so. The selling dealer has no idea what the sale price, which MAY be less than their purchase price. Michelin either does an inventory replacement or credit for tires sold under national accounts. The selling dealer only makes money on the labor and added services. It's just the cost of being a Michelin dealer. This is somewhat similiar to a new car dealer doing warranty work; it's simply not profitable.

The process has recently changed with the FMCA program where you have to have your credit card registered prior to the sale. This is quick, I did this while in the lobby of the dealer. The dealer sends you out the door with a paid bill for some amount, which doesn't really matter. The next business day you will receive an email from FMCA with the invoice and the actual amount charged.

This is a great program that makes membership in FMCA a no brainer. I put 6 315s on a few weeks ago when I took delivery of our bus. They didn't have 8 tires, so I'll get the other 2 in a couple of weeks.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion