Thread: What to do in NC

Default What to do in NC

The Biltmore in Asheville NC is an amazing place to visit. Even cooler, we had a HC guest with us and they let us drive the bus right up to the front door of the castle and we got great pictures of the bus with the mansion in the background. Like "Prevost invades Downton Abbey!" Then great parking lot and shuttle for the driver.

We stayed at "Campfire Lodgings" which has several "premium" sites where you back-in on the edge of the cliff and have an awesome view. It is a steep winding unpaved road up, but we had zero issues with a 40' and you can only arrive in afternoon and leave in morning so it is always a 1-way for busses. VERY small, quiet "best kept secret" type place.

Liam,

We stayed there last year, and we watched wild turkeys out side of our window. That is a really neat little campground. The road up is not too bad if you get a head of steam going up! I was not aware of the 1 way in the morning rule; we just arrived and drove up the mountain.

The folks in the office were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay at Campfire Lodgings on our next visit to the area.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I just got an email ad for "Hidden Mountain Resort" and it looked pretty nice. Yes, it is in TN - but my real questions: We really want to stay someplace nice as home base and explore Great Smokey Mountains National Park in the toad. Had been thinking "Campfire Logs" but thought I would ask what folks recommended including Hidden Valley. Also, if I want to sleep with windows open, how early/late in the season before it cools off at night?
    Last edited by Liam; 05-31-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Liam,

Check out Blue Ridge Mountain Motorcoach Resort at Lake Toxaway, NC. It is a really nice place and is about 20 miles outside of Brevard, NC. The drive out of Brevard is kind of mean and I would recommend that you drop your toad after passing through Brevard if you chose to go there. The place is well within the reach of Biltmore, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Smokies and Ashville. Brevard also is a neat little town to knock around in and has several nice, little places to eat at.

Awesome and thanks for the recomendation!!

Campfire Lodgings is a real gem. It's on the top of a mountain and the views are spectacular. You'll enjoy the management, very friendly.

Thanks TPR, our maiden trip was Campfire Lodgings with no toad yet. We got good at that huge hill. Loved the place!!