Thread: WHAT TO DO IN V.A.Virginia

Default WHAT TO DO IN V.A.Virginia

Virginia, this state has so much history, and so many wonderful places to visit, so I just moved there! My favorites, Civil war sites and The Blue Ridge Parkway, and this is where I call home Milepost 163 35miles south of Roanoke. When on the Parkway visit Maybry Mill the most photographed place on the entire parkway! all 400+ miles . The mill is at milepost 178, Also a great winery and restaurant can be found at Mile post 173 Chateau Morrisette. When traveling the Parkway in your motorhome campgrounds are not new so be prepared to use 30amp or dry camp. You will not be disappointed! The best times Late April till June 1 and Oct till mid November, It will not be busy then and you can take your time to get lost in this beautiful place! Gary

Gary is correct! We have spent much time in Virginia in the past few years.

There is a nice Rv Park in New Market - right off of 81. It is called Endless Caverns Rv Resort. It slopes up a hill and the pull throughs are laid out really well - plenty of room to maneuver
    even with a tow car. You are about equal distance from either Skyline Drive entrance ( you do not want to take the bus on Skyline Drive - tunnel) and not far from Luray Caverns which is worth a visit.

Another nice place is on the Eastern side of the state, Greys Point RV Resort. It is right on the Rappahannock River and the scenery around there can keep you bust for days. George Washington's Birthplace and the home Robert E Lee grew up in are close - well worth seeing.

Jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jamie Bradford; 05-12-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

I third that view. Our first trip last October right after buying the bus was the northern start of Skyline Drive, then Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Asheville NC. Absolutely stunning and BTW great bus parking at the mill. The only caution is you will at least twice wet your pants as an equally big rig going opposite direction rounds a curve just as you are maneuvering around some cyclists!!! Very narrow road with soft shoulders.

We are spending the holiday weekend at the caverns resort you mentioned. Nice to know you liked it. They said it was hilly so put us on the lower loop.

Be careful of the Walnut Hills / Staunton KOA in Staunton VA. Here's a post I made a couple of years ago.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...6851#post36851

Thanks for the heads-up. We had issues with an NPS park on Blue Ridge, "Peaks of Otter". Said OK for 40' but every site was a tight loop around a big tree. Was late so we parked by the dump. I saw virtually no sites where you could park a bus.

How was West Point? Any good place to camp for a football game? (go Army, beat Navy)
    Last edited by Liam; 05-15-2012 at 08:12 AM.

At the time, my son was a cadet there. We camped at North Dock on the post. It was great. You can actually still do that, at least on football weekends. There are a lot of RV's that come down for the game weekend.