Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question - What tools should we be sure to have with us on a long trip

Default Newbie question - What tools should we be sure to have with us on a long trip

We just bought a 1996 XL and are getting ready for our first long trip. I am putting together my tool box and wanted to see if anyone can share some experience with must have tools to make sure I have with me. Our first series 60 and Prevost so not sure what to be sure to have.

Appreciate any advice and experience.

Mike and Mona

My response would be to have the basic tools like wire cutters, screw drivers, ohm meter, basic set of rachet wrenches, allen wrench set, electric screw driver / drill, electric tape, can of electric cleaner, battery terminal treatment, set of belts for the engine and a radiator belt for the generator, gallon of oil and a gallon of GM anti freeze, a good light for in close work, tie downs, a few replacement lights, fuses, air gauge....just basic stuff... you will not be breaking down the engine while on the side of the road...
    very best,
    Pres

The Pres says it pretty well, I might add.... a cell phone with plenty of minutes and a prayer to the Bus God available...good luck and enjoy, be safe.

Hello VirginiaCamper and congratulations.

I would add to or reiterate: a good -- simple -- multi meter, that has DC voltage up to at least 24 vdc, 120 vac, and ohms. Every meter will have this and more. I would get one with the fewest options since you will most likely only need the basic functions (think of an inexpensive calculator vs. an expensive one.) I would then play with it to get familiar or better yet have someone show you.

Along those lines, I would also get a set of good test leads (single wires with alligator clips on both ends) and a 24 volt test light. Any automotive store will have these.

Those three items will help greatly if you are on the phone with a tech.

I would also throw in a handful of relays (Prevost can supply the correct assortment) some fuses to match what CC uses, some hose clamps, and a good tire pressure gage and tire chuck. In broad strokes those are the simple things that can cause a breakdown. And of course if you actually have them you will never need them....

Lastly, I would use the coach purchase as an excellent excuse to buy every tool I could possibly lay my hands on and pack into the box and then ask my wife if there's any tool room left over in the closet (closet park a joke).

Otherwise as others have said here a good assortment of mechanics tools.

Best of luck and safe travels,

Pat Sprenger
    Coach Pro LLC
    800-918-7172

The tools & parts listed is a great list. I would add a batterry drill and bits, flash lights, 2 or 3 fire extinguishers, Duct tape, Nylon tie wraps, Air hose & tire fill attachment, Tire guage, Tire valves & caps, Extend pole with windshield bug cleaner.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

From experience, I would also recommend that you for sure have on board the business cards of our sponsors!!!! I know that when we had mechanical problems, if Ed could not solve the problem, then we called a sponsor and they were VERY helpful !!!! And as always, make sure you have on-line access to post a question here. Welcome to the POG family!
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

I would suggest carrying several oak blocks about 6"x6" and cut to an 8" length. Use these oak blocks to support the chassis of your bus IF you have to get under it. Also, a 20 Ton bottle jack (about $80) is a good tool to carry. Check with your Prevost manual to determine the best support points on the chassis and use the oak blocks to support the bus while you are under it.

NEVER GET UNDER A BUS THAT IS NOT SUPPORTED PROPERLY!

Good luck and be safe!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Virginia camper where in V.A. are you I am in Floyd V.A. gary

I'd say a cell phone and $10,000.00 in cash!

Unless you understand the problem and can fix it yourself, you will be better off with a good credit card and cell phone.
    Many more problems have been created by ignorance of the probelm, than ever solved.
    My advice for your tools: plyers, cresent wrench, screw drivers, electrical, duct and teflon tape, a small reel of wire and hammer.