Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Bags

Default Air Bags

Roger and I are about to have fifteen (15) ten year old air springs (air bags to you POG members) that were removed from our 45 foot coaches.

The fronts and tags are Prevost part number 630259 (Goodyear 1R11244) and seven are available, and the rears (drive axle) are Prevost part number 630104 (Goodyear 1R11-088) and there will be eight of them.

These will work on 45 foot motorhome shells up to serial T5872. Check for your specific application. The cost is free, but you will need to cover the cost of shipping or arrange to get them in east TN or at a rally. They might be great as spares, or to replace ones you have with leaks, or maybe you just want to tie them together and lift your house off the foundation.

Thumbs down You can't have them

I was sorthing through the air bags I recently replaced because I was thinking of retaining one of each type as a spare. As I looked them over it became evident that I replaced them at the right time.

Every one, including those that showed no corrosion or deterioration on the top of the bottom cannister had signs of dry rot. Where the air bags "roll" onto the bottom they all had small surface cracks and the rubber was seen to be losing its flexibility.

All 8 are now in a large waste container at our local refuse and recycling center.

Wink Air Bags Last How LONG ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg
    I was sorthing through the air bags I recently replaced because I was thinking of retaining one of each type as a spare. As I looked them over it became evident that I replaced them at the right time.

Every one, including those that showed no corrosion or deterioration on the top of the bottom cannister had signs of dry rot. Where the air bags "roll" onto the bottom they all had small surface cracks and the rubber was seen to be losing its flexibility.

All 8 are now in a large waste container at our local refuse and recycling center.
    OK, I know that tires last up to maybe 6 years, pretty much regardless of how many miles are put on them, before they need replacing?

And the batteries last 2-4 years maybe?

How long do the Air Bags last, before they need to be replaced?

I know there is no exact science, to all of this, but any GENERALITIES will be appreciated. Something else for me to try and look carefull at before purchasing a Used bus.

I can't believe how much GREAT INFO I have gotten out of you guys in just the last month.

I would like to buy all of you a beer........ I said I would like to, I didn't say I was going to

Gary

Gary,

I'll answer this in the Busted Knuckles section. The thread creep police have started writing tickets.

Default Basics of Thread Structures ?

Gary,

I'll answer this in the Busted Knuckles section. The thread creep police have started writing tickets.

Thanks Jon for the answer, about the Maintenance I got it this morning, in the other Thread you told me about.

Now for my next question, What are the basics in these Threads for where questions are suppose to go, and where Not to go?

I thought my original question came in a thread talking about maintenance issues?

I would imagine the answer to a question should remain in that thread, unless the original question was not in the correct thread? Is my question ambiquos, or should I put this in another thread?

Man, I need a drink!

Gary

Gary,

When I said I would answer in another thread I was actually breaking new ground. If you recall Outback Steak Houses have a saying "No rules, just right"....well that describes POG and this forum. We said and did what we wanted on whatever thread happened to be open at the time.

Some folks (you know who you are...) took exception to our free spirited manner of conducting ourselves and reminded us about the fact there are catagories on this forum. So I did the right thing and responded about a maintenance issue on that thread instead of a thread about stuff for sale or trade.

My mistake. You have correctly pointed out the error of my ways, and henceforth I will respond when asked where asked. We have too long a history screwing up for me to think we should start correcting things now.

Have a drink for me also.

Talking I get it NOW ?

Gary,

When I said I would answer in another thread I was actually breaking new ground. If you recall Outback Steak Houses have a saying "No rules, just right"....well that describes POG and this forum. We said and did what we wanted on whatever thread happened to be open at the time.

Some folks (you know who you are...) took exception to our free spirited manner of conducting ourselves and reminded us about the fact there are catagories on this forum. So I did the right thing and responded about a maintenance issue on that thread instead of a thread about stuff for sale or trade.

My mistake. You have correctly pointed out the error of my ways, and henceforth I will respond when asked where asked. We have too long a history screwing up for me to think we should start correcting things now.

Have a drink for me also.
    OK, I think I get it now....? You are suppose to put any comments you make under a catagory on the POG that has aleady been started, that pertains to the question you are answering?

I think the screwed up or other way is better, too, Jon. Sorry if I confused you for a second?

MAN, isn't it 5:00 somewhere yet ?

Gary

How come no smart aleck comments from the forum catagory police?????????

I assume silence is assent.

I'm going to go to the Busted Knuckles category and sell something.

I'm not the top cop, but I have to make a comment about thread creep.

At some future point down the road some NOOB is going to be looking for some real answers as he gets ready to plunk down the kids college tuition for that used bus. If he can logically look under a category that makes sense for an answer saying have to do with bus maint. (BUSTED KNUCKLES) if he's lucky he can find his own answer. If the answer to changing an airbag is in the PARKING OVERNITE category it's not going to do anybody in the future any good.

Now I know none of us wants to be part of a structured, whole bunch of rules, garden variety type CLUB. But when you're done playing with your toys you need to put them back in the right place so we can find them in the future.

mm

Question OK, So how do we Proceed in the Future ?

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike
    I'm not the top cop, but I have to make a comment about thread creep.

At some future point down the road some NOOB is going to be looking for some real answers as he gets ready to plunk down the kids college tuition for that used bus. If he can logically look under a category that makes sense for an answer saying have to do with bus maint. (BUSTED KNUCKLES) if he's lucky he can find his own answer. If the answer to changing an airbag is in the PARKING OVERNITE category it's not going to do anybody in the future any good.

Now I know none of us wants to be part of a structured, whole bunch of rules, garden variety type CLUB. But when you're done playing with your toys you need to put them back in the right place so we can find them in the future.

mm
    Ok, so what do you suggest we do to fix this, and how do we maintain your implemented suggestion after the first day or two

I am all ears, well not all ears.