We have stayed at Boyd's for 1 week in February 2012. We selected Boyd's because it was the only place which had space available when we called in October to make a reservation for February!!!!!!!!!
All other places, including Blue Water, told us they were fully booked and indicated that people were booking their spots many months ahead to assure they would have a place to stay.
Blue Water claimed to have a waiting list 4 pages long in October. We added our name, anyways. They called in December to let us know of a cancellation and we could have booked 2 weeks. We decided to book 1 week, instead.
Anyway, back to Boyd's. Finding them is easy. They are located on Stock Island, which is right before you get to Key West. It is 5 miles from there to the city. Getting to and finding Boyd's is easy.
Getting into Boyd's with a 45 foot bus, well, that is another story. Even though Boyd's is a well maintained campground, with friendly people all around, getting into your assigned space is exciting, to say the least.
They seem to have a learned from the marine canning industry. Herring in particular. This is how you feel, when you in your assigned spot.
But... Getting into the spot, well, that requires a work out for the mind and the bus. Boyd's claims to have spaces for 45 foot buses but in my opinion, that is a stretch. Those spaces are along the wall adjacent to the street and they a straight back-ins. There is enough space for 2 slide-outs.
To make a long story short, it took us and 4 guides about 30 minutes to set-up Olivia in her assigned space. At times, there was barely an inch to spare before hitting somebody elses bus mirrors etc.
Cost-wise, Boyd's charged $90 per night.
Location-wise, Boyd's is hard to beat because they are so close to Key West. And the restaurants mentioned in my prior post about Blue Water are worth visiting at least twice.
The people at Boyd's are very nice and very helpful. But, they are dealing with dated facilities. Imagine this. Their few waterfront spaces are tent spaces. Can you figure that?
To get from Boyd's into town is an easy 5 miles bike ride. It is the exercise your body needs to absorb all the junk food and great drinks being served when you are in town. Key West does have lots more to offer than junk food.
Try the Brasilian steak house place, named Brazalena. They offer a buffet, where the wait persons go around and around, offering delicious, different kinds of meats and presented to you and cut or sliced right at your table. Eat all you want. Well worth a visit.
Key West is a fun place to visit town. Reserve a day to take a ride out to Fort Jefferson for some snorkeling etc. and do walk around Key West at night, when the place does come alive.
Back to Boyd's. Would I go there again? Probably and just for the location. But only, if I knew ahead of time which space they would want to put me into so that I could Google it to decide if it is worth the effort.
In closing, the problem you encounter with anywhere newr Key West is, that they are booked. They do know that people want to visit KW and this makes it a sellers market place. Take it or leave it. There is not much choice beyond that.
Travelling in a Prevost on Key West presents many challenges. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Ronald