Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Idler pulley bearings

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Default Alternator Idler pulley bearings

After hearing an occasional "churping sound" from the idler pulley for the alternator, I ordered a set of bearings thinking I might need to replace them. After further checking, I found the belt was not tight enough (I have the older idler system which used an adjustment bolt rather than the later spring loaded idler pulley) I tightened the adjustment bolt and the noise went away.

I had ordered a new set of bearings from Prevost, thinking I would change them when I had time. I thought I would pick up the caps that cover the bearings in case I damaged them during replacement, only to find that Prevost does not have them, not does Detroit Diesel.

Has anyone attempted replacing these bearings? If so, are the caps damaged beyond re-use during the replacement?

If they are not changeable, I do not need to keep the bearings as spares (50.00+ each).
    The newer spring loaded idler system is in excess of $1,300.00 at Detroit Diesel, so hope I do not have to change the entire idler system.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

I replaced my idler bearings last year. I bought aftermarket bearings using the numbers from the old ones. Although I tried to save the caps I was unsuccessful. The caps are not available from Detroit but the O.D is same as a standard trailer wheel bearing cap and that is what I used. If I could not have found caps I don't think it would be an issue as the bearings are sealed and because our engines are in backwards, I doubt that water or debris would affect the bearings the way it would on a truck.

Pete,
    As much as I'm a tightwad when it come to spending dollars. BUY THE SPRING BELT TENSIONER! http://www.coachtransitcomponents.co...x.php?cPath=26
    You will not regret spending these dollars.

Pete,
    If the PN is 05107293, the Detroit list price is $83.00. I found one from James Hunter Equipment in Canada: http://www.machinerytrader.com/deale...px?cid=2954748. Price was $10.00. You will not remove the old one without ruining it. The easiest way is drill and pry. Agree with Kevin on the tensioner.
    Last edited by BrianE; 04-16-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Pete, This is an interesting Thread. I almost removed my Dust Covers to do an inspection but didn't have the right tool.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Thanks guys! I think the idler pulley system on each of your coaches is the newer spring loaded type. Mine is the older model which has an adjustment bolt at the top of the mounting bracket which has 2 pulleys on it. To adjust the tension, you must loosen 2 bolts which hold the bracket to the engine and adjust the entire bracket assembly using the adjustment bolt, then re-tighten the 2 bolts which are attached to the engine.

I wish it was as simple as adding a spring loaded pulley, but the entire assembly must be changed. (If I knew how to post a picture it would be easier to understand the set up on my coach) The new assembly with the spring loaded assembly is over $1,300.00. I am going to look into possibly adapting mine to accept the spring loaded idler as you mentioned. However, I think my problem was the proper amount of tension on the belt, which seems to be OK for now. Thanks.

Pete & EJ Petree
    Sealy, Texas

Hey Jim, I tried prying against a large worm drive hose clamp but couldn't get it tight enough. Is there a tool for pulling bearing dust covers?

I'm stunned that "The Toolman" did not have a tool to remove the dust cover cap.........he must have overlooked it! He has a tool for every situation.
    Last edited by Pete; 04-16-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added to

Pete & EJ Petree
    Sealy, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    Hey Jim, I tried prying against a large worm drive hose clamp but couldn't get it tight enough. Is there a tool for pulling bearing dust covers?
    Brian, Yes there are tools to pull Bearing Dust Covers. I tried Matco and Snap On. None worked. Next time I am at Prevost in Jacksonville I will ask the Techs what they use and report back.
    How are you and Beverly doing out there ? Long time no see/talk to.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Hi Pete,

Please email me some pics & I will get them on here. Prevostlife@gmail.com

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche