Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAN CLUTCH REPLACEMENT

Lee, Thanks

OK, Here is a update on the warranty I have applied for concerning the fan clutch replacement. I called Good Sam Extended Warranty Claims Dept, The first thing they ask is why I did not call them to have the repair authorized. I told them I did not have the number to call in the coach it was in V.A. and I was now calling to get info needed to expedite the claim. as I had to pay out of pocket for the repairs. Here is what I was told, First they need a copy of the invoice, with Vin # of the coach, and the mileage. It has to be signed by me and the service manager at the repair facility. They wanted the Prevost warranty on the part and the repair shops warranty on the labor, In this case Liberty did the work. All items sent had to have the policy number written on them, I faxed the three page report today. I am sure every one on this site and me! will be interested in the outcome, since this issue of extended warranty benefits pro's and con's has been discussed. Let you have a blow by blow as this plays out hopefully to my pocket books benefit. Gary

Thanks Gary, we will anixously await your outcome. Hope it all is paid for by the Good Sam people.

Best Wishes,
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I replaced the fan clutch on our coach in 2010 while on our way to Yellowstone. Mine wasn't squealing; it wasn't engaging at all. I left a truck stop after refueling, and within 5 minutes, noticed the temperature started rising. Pulled off the road and verified the fan was not working. Ordered the clutch from Prevost about 4:45 in the evening and received it at 10 the next morning. We were back on the road by about 1:30, but it was rather demanding on my old body. Fortunately, it sounds like it wasn't nearly as bad as the H3. I didn't have to remove the radiator. It was hard trying to position that much weight and bulk of the fan and clutch at a 90 degree angle while getting it out and back in the fan shroud. Mine was $1600 for the fan and about $200 for the overnight delivery. Prevost advised me that I could place the bolts in the fan and it would turn all the time; but I decided to just fix it while I was there, and it worked out very well.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Yea, the bolts will work when not turning at all get you to a facility to fix it or home but you did the right thing eliminate the problem. You must have been sore the next day, The clutch on mine had to weigh over 100lbs. In a way I am glad they had to remove the radiator and sides, they also found a drain cock bad, a turbo hose that needed replacing,and the Wabasto exhaust defuser was missing.

Just to let you know the defuser was over 300.00!

Warranty update, concerning the fan clutch replacement, Hard to believe but the check came today no questions asked, after I sent in the required info. I have a 1000.00 deductible and the check was for the balance! Good Sam Extended Warranty, I was very satisfied with this outcome, and I did not call to get pre authorized! Hope this sheds some light on the issue of warranty! Gary

Great news Gary, glad you rec'd the check! It is refreshing to hear some positive news about extended warranties.

What is the maximum age that a coach can be and still be accepted into the program. Mine is 13 years old so I guess I am out of the envelop of time.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I do not know but can find out and get back to you,I decided on the 1000 deductible because first it was less expensive, and I figured to take care of the small things. Some things can get to be expensive repairs, also thanks for the AK directions.

We had a friend that had the Good Sam warranty three years ago and his H underwent complete AC repairs and some replacements at Buddy Greg's in Dallas...his bill was way over $14,000.00 and Good Sam took care of it with no hassle. They must be great !! I have been told they won't take on coaches over 10 years old but don't know if that's true or not?? Does anyone know?

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD