Thread: Florida Xmas Camping Recommendation

Default Florida Xmas Camping Recommendation

Hi Guys & Debi,

I'm taking the Mangoettes down to Florida right after Christmas until Jan 1st. However I need some recommendations for campgrounds. I wanted to stay in Tropical Palms, but after Jon stayed there last January that's out (plus they've been booked for 2 months.) You can forget Frontierland unless you're Eisner also. So I'm looking for a high energy camp area (teenagers) on either coast but not too far south (S. Florida and the Keys are just too far for a quick trip).

What can you recommend?

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 11-30-2006 at 05:52 PM.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Mike-

I would think that Orlando / Disney area would be the automatic choice for you with kids. I'm the king of dry camping and can tell you where to park outside an RV park like The Grand Palms which has a convention center and with ample "no problem" parking. There is a camp ground on Disney property and I THINK it is called Frontier Land. I don't know if they have RV hook ups. I also parked overnight at Pleasure Island which is an outdoor mall of entertainment stuff for tourists including bars, comedy clubs and even a roller skating place. You'll have Hero status with your kids I should think. These places all have tour buses coming and going day and night and have bus parking.

Screw RV parks I say especially when you don't need A/C at night. RV parks always want to tell me that "check out time is 12 noon". What the %&#$ ! The only overnight parking that I like is state parks. There $15-$20 a night, nicer grounds, more spread out spaces, nicer staff, etc, etc.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike
    Hi Guys & Debi,

I'm taking the Mangoettes down to Florida right after Christmas until Jan 1st. However I need some recommendations for campgrounds.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Bahahaha, you are so funny Mango man Have a wonderful trip and if you need a stop over place you are welcome at the farm. Hey to Donna!

Hi Mike. I used the Travel guide; 'BIG RIGS' Campgroud Directory. They usually had several recommendations for larger Cities. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Mike, we squated in the parkinglot fot the Wilderness Lodge hotel at Disney last year for a couple of nights. We were in a Class-C with 3 dogs and no harrasment. Lots of bus parking. It was on our way down to the Keys last year. We also decided to do it on the way home instead from now on. Very, very crowded. There are a couple of campgrounds just outside eastgate and westgate but Ide be supprised if there was avalibility this late. We know people who have stayed there, its a little early now, Ill see what I can find out for you a little later.

You also might try someplace like, Silver Springs, I know its probably not where you hoped for but if everything is full and you arent into squatting there is alot of nice stuff up there and it is reasonably close.

The name of the Disney campground is Fort Wilderness, Sometimes you can get a 1 night inbetween reservations and mabye if its not a hassle move around to a couple of spots to fit in. I think I would at least call to see. We stayed here for a week some time ago, this place is REALLY COOL.

We will be rolling through there on the 29th or 30th.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 12-01-2006 at 07:25 AM.

lewpopp Guest

ango,

I know I posted something last night but I guess it didn't go thru. If Port St Lucie is Okay, I will call my neighbor up and see when he is coming down to determine if the lot is available that week. Let me know ASAP and I'll call him

Anyway, I would like to have you near so I can steal and pillage the shiney thingies while you are out checking out the neighborhood.

Carona Kelly can stay with me, although I haven't asked my bride yet, but if she shows up on my door step, she would be too embarrassed to street her.

Lew

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Mike, another important TRAFFIC tip for Disney.

East Gate and West Gate are both on Fla Rt. 192 it runs east and west inbetween I-4 and the turn pike. This is a 24 hour a day traffic jam.

If comming from I-4 southbound go through Orlando and get on the Turnpike south to Oseola Pkwy and go West. Its 1 exit before 192 going south, almost no traffic compared to 192 and goes right into Disney.