Thread: Brake Air Pressure

Default Brake Air Pressure

I have noticed the past few months that as the coach sits for a few days the brake pressure is 0 when I start the bus. It comes right up to 118-123psi 2-3 minutes after starting and maintains that pressure while traveling.

Is this an issue or just normal for a coach that has a few years on it? I remember reading "horror stories" about chasing down an air leak. Any thought or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Mine takes about 3 days, if I don't turn the aux compressor on.

Jamie,

This is always an interesting topic. When I purchased my coach, brake air would leak down in a few day, then progressively got worst. After a few months of ownership, within a few hours the brake air was at zero and then it was time to investigate. Their is a specification of allowable brake air leakage, I can not remember the numbers.

However, I did resolve my problems and now my brake air will hold indefinitely. After a few months, I will notice a pound or two drop. The most probable leak source in the connections to the primary and secondary air guages mounted in the dash. The 1/8 " fittings that connect to the 1/8 inch tubing a leak prone after a few years. Checking this problematic area has solved many leakers.

Leaking air systems can be resolved with simple patience.

Good Luck,

Hector

4. Smile Air Leak

Your air system is well within limits. As a coach ages they will begin to develope leaks at fittings, valves, lines etc. Hector's problem was more severe. An air system that goes to 0 in a couple of hours needs attention but not several days.

Michael Bell
    Owner / Partner
    Coach Worx LLC