Thread: RE: Stair lights?

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii, but the state does not allow motorhomes.

Default RE: Stair lights?

Good Morning Forum!

As I got to the top of the stairs last night, and wound around the sharp turn to the steps leading to the door, my hand found the mechanism to open the door. To my utter surprise....and remorse.....there were no lights on the stairs, nor any of the bannisters.

On my Elegant Lady, 1993 Liberty, she knows it is too dark to try to maneuver over the black marble without lights, so please, could someone tell me where I might find the fuse/ breaker/ switch that would provide the needed light?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have, and by the way, if I didn't have to let the dog out at night, I would never have to ask for help with this one problem!

Sent with my mobile iPad

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Patricia,
    By what means is your entry well lighted? If the lighting is provided by a rope light, it may be they have simply burnt out. First check on breakers and if none are tripped, there is a good chance the rope lights are shot. Rope lighting can be bought by the foot and it is relatively easy to change out. We went for a couple years not knowing their were rope lights in our entryway area. I ordered replacement rope lights over the web (it comes in different colors so go crazy) and did the install myself. Mine have to be turned on by a wall switch, they do not come on when the door is opened.

Good luck finding your problem source.

Thanks for the reply, but because they ALL shut off at the same time, I can't believe it was just a rope light malfunction burn out. Also, my horizontal hand- grips shut off, again at the same time, and I believe they have a different system other than rope lights. Is there somewhere a fuse or breaker which might have blown? It's not in my panel box.

Thanks again.

Pat

Sent by my iPad

how do you replace a section of rope lights? Hopefully they are in no way like cheap Christmas tree lights made in Taiwan. I have an occasional rope light bulb out in the ceiling but it doesn't look like an easy fix. So far I've just told my wife to not look up at them.

Although I consider it top rate and fine conversion, let me say forthwith that I am not an expert at all on Liberty conversions. However I have around 30 years in the Prevost conversion business, and I have a guess at the issue here.

The entry way lights most likely turn on / off when the door is opened / closed (?) There may be an enable / disable switch for the circut, but most often the lights are "automatic" with the door. A fuse or relay are certainly on the list, but first I would check the following which is most often the culprit.

There should be a mechanical or magnetic micro switch attached to the upper or lower door hinge that "reads" the door being opened or closed. Most likely the upper hinge. This switch is activated at the hinge folds back into the dash upper housing. The hinge itself should have a simple removable cover which makes access and investigation easy.

I would check for a loose or fallen off switch on or near the door hinge, or perhaps a pinched wire at the switch. If there is a (brown) plastic rectangular box, smaller than your pinky, glued to the hinge that is a magnetic reed switch. The corresponding magnet will be inside the dash where the two switches meet when the door is closed and completes the circuit. One of these two switches will have two black wires coming out of the end, most likely the dash-side. These magnetic switches are prone to failure over time.

If you get a chance to check and see this switch write back or give me a ring and there is a simple check to prove / disprove the theory.

Hope that helps.

Aloha,

Pat Sprenger

Coach Pro LLC

Hi Pat!
    What you said makes so much sense.......why didn't I think of that connection?? When I return to the coach, I 'm hoping there is enough light to investigate your common- sense approach.

Thank you again.

Pat

Sent by my iPad