Thread: Engine Running Hot

Default Engine Running Hot

On my way home yesterday, a 250 mile trip, my engine ran hot about 4-5 times. I have a DD 60S engine and have dash air. One time the DDEC flashed and the temperature was at 217 degrees. I ran the dash air conditioning so the fan would run more and it seemed to help. I would sometimes run 50-60 miles at the normal temperature, then the gauge would start to rise quickly and stay there for maybe 30 seconds and then quickly back to normal. I know I need to get it into the shop but I live about 250 miles from Nashville. Any ideas as to what is causing this and how to maybe get it to the shop without it running hot?

Sammy,

We had trouble with our 2000 H Marathon coming back from Quebec. The temp guage would be fine reading around 195, then fling itself all the way over. The warning lights flashed, bells went off, then the guage would behave. No faults tho, on the DDEC info screen, tho
    We later found out the wire to the sensor was loose at the sensor. Have you had any engine servicing done recently. If not, maybe your sensor is failing.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Also, check the temp gauge in the engine compartment, it is normally more accurate than the one on the dash. Could be your dash gauge.
    Just a thought.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

You may have a bad clutch on your radiator fan. You can set it with a bolt to stay on all the time.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide