Thread: Handicap Accessible Coaches

Default Handicap Accessible Coaches

I just received an email from a gentleman who just purchased an H3-45.

While the coach has been somewhat modified for wheelchair access it needs more work done.

Additionally , he is inquiring about where to find beds , chairs , etc to outfit the coach.

If anyone can assist me with this I can in turn try to help this man.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Jamie,
    He might start by calling some of the converters, I understand they often have take outs from remodel jobs, might even find a matching set, I bet Ken would know at CoachWorx.

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Hi Jaime. It will depend on what part of the country he is in. Also, Sponsors.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

There have seen a handful of these built / converted over the years. Depending on the conversion I may have made this coach originally with my former employeer. I have been involved in 4 (?) such conversions from scratch.

I have seen two varieties. One is a ramp style side door cut into the upper wall of the chassis, above the frame rail, with a buy-out electric life mechanism installed similar to what you see on passenger vans. The other is a screw drive device at the exising entry door simiar to what you see advertised on TV for a stairway in a house. Lastly, I was involved in a project that had a lift platform at the entry door for a fully able, non-handicapped Saudi who did not want to walk up the stairs (I am NOT kidding).

The ramp style is better than the lift style but of course more $$$. In this case I guess the assist device in already installed, and if it needs fine tuning that should be relatively straight forward (famous last words).

On units purpose-built the cabinets, bathroom, bed etc where intentionally built for hadndicap accessabilty. To modify or remodel a standard coach for that need can certainly be done to whatever extent a person desires and / or has in his budget. Sometimes the trick is knowing what NOT to change if that makes sense.

I hope that helps and I hope the gentleman has a great experience with his new coach....

Pat Sprenger
    Coach Pro LLC
    800-918-7172