Thread: Contributions Requested

Default Contributions Requested

Good Morning All,

I am looking for some volunteers who would like to share their travel experiences.

I have listed below some topics which I feel would be of interest to fellow members as well as those interested in becoming members. This list certainly can be added to - if anyone can think of other topics please do so.

Responses can be as short or as long as you desire - audio or video recordings would also be welcome.

Thanks

Jamie

favorite place
    most interesting place
    most beautiful place
    most embarrising moment while traveling
    worst predicament
    worst weather ever travelled through
    worst traffic ever travelled through
    longest trip
    most enjoyable trip over 7 days
    most enjoyable trip under 7 days
    cheapest trip
    most expensive trip
    trip I most want to take
    best surprise place found
    best gadget bought for the bus
    worst gadget bought for the bus

2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Worst TRAFFIC EVER! Without a Doubt CHICAGO on the way to Zip Dee. Second place I-95 From New York City to D.C. in August. In both cases I have a witness. Mr Keller was behind me in his bus!
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Must opine, I have made that trip from South Chicago (Cannarozzi's place) to Zip-Dee....but at evening rush hour and it was HORRENDUS.

Worst Predicament, March 2009, We had been on a tour of Jack Daniels, when we left it was starting to rain temp 34. We were going to get to I-40 and try to make Servierville Tn by dark, by the time we hit I-40 it had began to snow. Temp at this time was 30. With traffic going at a snail pace we decided to try to find a campground close to stop for the night since it was getting dark. My wife called and made reservation at one we had never heard about but we needed to get set for the bad weather. After driving 20miles off the intersate on a narrow road we came to the campground. Now I need to let you know it had rained 2 inches before starting to snow, as I turned into the campground my lights were shinning out into space could not see any road, I moved forward very slowly and started going down a steep hill the road had very little gravel on it and was slippery. When we finally got to the bottom and at the camp ground all the roads were under 3 inches of water, you could not see the gravel roads and there was nobody at this campground no lights or nothing. At this time a lady drove up in a jeep and said she would take me to my site, I said they are all under water! I could not see the narrow roads much less the camp site, by this time it is pitch dark. She turned the lights on in the office and I said this is the only place to park since it was a couple inches higher than he rest of the place, to get to this site I had to go around the road a circle of sorts well I got stuck not once but three times the last time up to the hubs. With very careful rocking the coach I was able to get out, now about this time I am as mad as hell! I finally have the coach pointed toward the hill for my exit in the AM. Put the slides out and hunckered down for the night not knowing what tommorow would bring. Well woke up at 4 AM sleeting 2inches on the ground wait till dawn drive out in the car roads ok if I can just get out of here! Get back to coach wake the wife tell her to get ready for the ride of her life, put slides in they work fine but the awnings over slides frozen stiff, well I figure the ground water is warmer than the air so find a hose connection that is not frozen and start spraying water it is 29 well it finally thawed enough with the water to make the awning retract. Back in the coach which has been running for a while, I have a little flat ground to get my speed up for the hill off we go I get right to the top and it starts spinning, almost stops but did get over the top. After early morning curseing could not hook up car all frozen gear. We drove away and hooked up down the road, I will also say the woman offered to pull me out with her farm tractor and chain. Never will I ever even go by the place again!

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

Best Gadget bought for the bus: The Dyson DC-35 Multi Floor Cordless Vacuum Cleaner.
    We love this vacuum! It has two speeds, high works great on carpet and low on hard surfaces. The head of the floor attachment is narrow, it swivels and is perfect for tight spots in a bus.
    You will not believe how much this vacuum picks up!
    Retails for right around $300 and, in our opinion is worth every penny!
    Best price we have found is at Bed Bath & Beyond with one of their 20% off coupon...they might have to special order it for you, but only takes a few days to come in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster View Post
    Worst TRAFFIC EVER! Without a Doubt CHICAGO on the way to Zip Dee. Second place I-95 From New York City to D.C. in August. In both cases I have a witness. Mr Keller was behind me in his bus!
    Mr. Foster is correct. We barely had enough wine on board to recover from those two passages.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

How about "MOST MEMORABLE MOMENTS"

Entertaining a few POG coaches who after navigating the NYC traffic filled roadways, arrived during a typical hot and humid North Jersey heatwave only to experience inadequate electrical service. But they had cable tv! My understanding is they were given the NY single finger salute a few times while in the NY metro area.....
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Default Most memorable: Hearing the sound of an explosion while trying to start the bus!

We spent this past Christmas and New Year's with family in Toronto. Never again. Well, at least not with the bus. ... :-) ... We ran the Aqua-Hot almost 24/7 for 10 days and had to run to get diesel every 2nd day to top of the coach. Well, departure day arrives... Problem was, we wanted to leave but not Olivia. The bus did not start! Starter batteries flat, apparently. Well, no problem, says Brother-in-law and calls the auto club, explaining that a jump start was needed for an RV. 2 hours later, a pick-up trucks pulls into the driveway. The driver was ready to jump start a car but not a bus. He had no clue what he was looking at and was most definetely under-equipped. We try anyways. First attempt. Nothing. Second attempt... CABOOM... I hear an exploding sound coming from the back of the bus. The tow truck driver has a dazed look on his face. Plastic pieces all over the place. One battery had exploded!! Looking at the remains, the core was solidly frozen! Fortunately, the cover over the batteries kept the explosion at ground level and blowing horizontally. Much more fortunate for everyone was the fact, that the tow-truck driver had turned his back to the bus and had started walking towards his pickup. So, other than nerves, no bodily harm. Away he goes. Next call goes out to a commercial truck repair center. 45 minutes later a BIG truck arrives. 4 new batteries and $1,000 later, we leave....