Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Lights Out....

Easy now that that was clarified.

Replace the relay, driver's front electric compartment.

Talking

But if the bus is running, why aren't the lights "running"? Even if the bus is standing still, are the running ligts "running"?

Sorry No more of this stuff from me. I am still just so happy to be here!

JamesJ Guest

Well I pressed the ICC or courtesy light button a few times and now they are working. I guess my courtesy light button is going bad something.

James,

It's the relay. Trust me. Buy one and keep it handy. you will need it. The courtesy switch served to supply power to the relay coil on and off enough for the relay coil to either move the contacts, or to cause corroded and pitted contacts to make the circuit So now they work. The fact they did not work when the headlights were turned on suggests strongly the relay is failing.

JamesJ Guest

I have on my list of spare parts to get a new relay, I guess I may just buy two. But Napa and AutoZone do not have the part number of the other three relays.

I guess I will just keep looking, or look for it on the www

I think it is an octagon base relay (I'm going by memory here) and WW Grainger is a good source.

Jamesj,
    If it's a Hella Relay, you can go direct to them and they can help you find one. I had an oddball relay number that couldn't be crossed over and they were very helpful.

JamesJ

Our 93 CC had "running lights" mounted in the front bumper called driving lights which only came on when you pushed the switch overhead turning them on and had high beam headlights on (DUH). Controlled through a relay in electrical panel, drivers side top. I rewired ours to come on with the overhead switch, independent of the headlights. Powered when the ignition is on.

Marker lights come on with headlamps or parking light switch. Also switched through push button on end of turn signal arm.

Mike K

JamesJ Guest

Just ordered my CD, no charge for the parts CD or the wiring CD.

Mike, I must be lucky because my running light/fog lights will come on whenever you flip the switch.

James, I think that is the classic evolution of the situation. At some point you will flash your lights to a trucker you just passed and your marker/parking/clearance/running lights will not come back on.

You will rapidly and repeatedly operate the switch on the end of the turn signal stalk, and they will finally come back on. Then one day they will not.

That is when you will go to the spare parts you set aside for just such an occasion, replace the relay, and life is good again.

On the very next day after I bought our first coach, 8 hours after I had parked it in our garage the same type relay failed, only it was the horn relay, and if failed "on". It apparently was nature's way of announcing to our entire village we just got a new bus.