Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking in the bus with an induction cooktop

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Hi Karl,
    Email me and I will respond with photos. There is no need to build-up anything because the cooktop has no built-up edges.
    It is all glass and you can use a pot larger than the width of the cooktop if need be. Of course, performance will suffer, if the pot diameter is larger than the actual coil. Also, bear in mind, that you can not just use any pot. It must be made for use with an induction cooktop. IKEA has great deals! Anyhow, email me and I will send photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Hiemann View Post
    Almost forgot to answer this question. The Domino fits the cutout for the Gaggenau. It is therefore not a flush mount installation. Their is a lip of about 1/4 inch, being the thickness of the glass. I will try to attach a photo or PM me and I will email one to you. Sorry, can not do, as I am typing this on an iPad. So email me, if you want a visual.
    Cheers,
    Ronald
    Ron, Don't know your email but mine is " j.r.keller@email.com " We have induction in our house and have thought about converting the Bus. In fact, my wife even bought the induction cook top for me to install and it is still in the storage bay. Please send any pictures of encouragement you may have.

Thanks, Jim Keller

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jim, send that cook top to me...I will install it in my bus so you can see how it looks!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

OH, OK Pete. On its way. Anything for a friend !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I have induction in home and in bus... nothing like it !!

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

Diane, what brand burner did you put in your bus?
    Did it fit in the existing cutout or did you have to make modifications?
    Thanks!

Ron, mine is carmichael@hughes.net thanks Gary

I had an old raised up 2" thick solid coil burner that had a Corian cover over it that was very heavy and hard to store when using the burners (the burners took forever to heat and theneven longer to cool off) so I had it removed and had the hole covered with the existing burner cover cut down to fit. I purchased two portable single induction burners, they are very light take up almost no space when using. I only ever use one at a time and often taken them outside when cooking out. I have very small cabinet top in my galley and love having the extra room.. Also they don't get very hot and are so easy to handle.They are Max Burton brand and are great. I got them on Ebay 2 years ago for about $130 for the pair, then they retailed for that much or more each. If I had had more cabinet top space I would have had a built in cooktop and a portable for outside, but this works perfectly for us.
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Diane, what brand burner did you put in your bus?
    Did it fit in the existing cutout or did you have to make modifications?
    Thanks!

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

When y'all get those pics from Ron, would you please post them here so we can all have a look?

Thanks Diane for your reply.

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Ok, I have measured both cooktops today. The new induction cooktop has overall dimensions of 11-3/8 X 20 inches and that is the dimension of the flat, black glasstop. Meaning, you could use a larger pot. The Gaggenau measures 11-1/4 X 20 inches and as owners know, the glasstop is framed in a raised metal edge. Thus, the size of your pots is limited. The cut-out does not require modifications. At least, not for the induction cooktop I have purchased. It dropped right in with hardly any room to spare. I think this will be the case for most any replacements.

Regarding the pictures and for those of you who have not seen them yet, just imagine a black, glasstop cooktop. That is pretty much all there is to it.

The much more important aspect of all this is, that cooking on an induction cooktop is incredibly fast.

Warning! It will cut your "Happy Hour" down to 15 minutes.

:-(

Cheers,
    Ronald