Thread: Liberty Inverter Question

Default Liberty Inverter Question

Whenever I switch off the shore power pedestal breaker prior to unplugging the shore cord (I always switch off the heavy loads prior to doing this), my ac power is momentarily interrupted causing my DVR to reboot. This is an annoyance as it takes SEVERAL minutes for a reboot to complete. There is no loss of power when turning power on afar running on investor power. This has always happened during my one year ownership of this bus.

I have the Heart Interface Freedom inverter setup typical for my vintage. Unknown battery age, but they seem to maintain voltage well for several hours. I really don't run much on the inverters.

Is this normal? If not, what might the cause be? Is there a setting?
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S

John,
    I am not an expert like some of these fellows but I do know there is an instant between the cutting off of the shore power and the rceognition of this action by the inverter. There are those that contend it is o k to go through this process even with the air conditioners running. I disagree. The instance is recognized, for example, by an operating compressor. It looses electronic input (stops) and immediately regains the electronic source (restarting). It has, however, stopped and restarted in the process which is undesirable. This applies to all electronic devices as you know. It is not good for their system. It is the same as an electronic disturbance from a break caused by lighting in the vicinity. I am guilty of the TV and refrigerator. As I said, I am not an expert but was in the air conditioning business at one time. If you are unlucky, this can toast the compressor.
    Pres

John,

I will be interested in your replies.

I have the same problem. In my coach, it also happens when the Gen-Set is turned off. My coach #is 532.

Larry and Sandy Dahlin
    2003 Liberty Elegant Lady XL-II

2009 Buick Enclave

John,

There is a WAY outside chance that this is an inverter settings issue. I'm not at the bus just now, so I'm relying on memory.... not the best resource under ideal conditions!

Anyway, there is a setting for my inverters that essentially keeps the inverters from momentarily going into a kind of idle state. There is a way to set up the inverters so that they will NOT invert under very light loading.... keeping the batteries from being used until a predetermined load is sensed and then they kick in to provide AC power. Mine are set (via dip switches on mine) to always provide power.

You might want to research this a bit and just double check the settings on your inverters to make sure they are still configured they way you want them.

As I said, in my opinion, it isn't likely that your issue is settings related.... but it won't hurt to check them just to be sure.

Good luck!!

I had a similar problem/issue with the Direct TV reciever on my Royale. Solved it by putting a uninteruptible power supply (UPS) on that outlet. Got the smallest available at Office Depot. Might be a thought.

Its definately a Liberty thing. Maybe Troy at Liberty can answer that one.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

John, whenever I go off shore power, I follow Liberty instructions.

Turn off breaker in bay one (for my vintage), then proceed to the pole box for shut off and disconnect.

When connecting power I plug the surge connector into the power pole with the breaker off, check polarity and line condition after turning breaker on, turn pole breaker off, reel out cord and plug into surge protector and turn on pole power. go to bay one and turn coach breaker on.

Note: I check power before reeling out cord in case power is deficient, then I have less to do to move to a different site.

Going from memory, I do not have a lapse of power in the coach.

Note: my electricals seem to be set up as a giant UPS, when the shore power goes off the UPS (batteries) take over in a seamless transition.

JIM

I have the same problem with my DirectTV if it is on when the change over happens. If I turn the DVR off and change over the DVR works fine when I turn it back on, just as if I turned it off and on with the power in one mode.
    Going from Shore power, Generator power or Inverter power causes the one of all the transfer switches to function and equipment just doesn't like it.
    That must be the reason the manufacturers want you to shut things down before switching. I don't think it is a seamless change over.

I was excited to see Paul's post and hoped a setting change would be a quick fix. However, I checked the manual and the DIP switches, and evidentially Liberty default setting has the delay function turned off.

So it looks like Steve's solution of putting a tiny UPS on the DVR will be the easy fix. Thanks all!
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S

John have you tried just turning it off before switching power.