Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Power! Inverters? Advice please

Tony,

On our Marathon, if the battery voltage drops below the invertor cutoff level, the invertors shut down and everything they power shuts down. They will not reset until the battery voltage is brought back up above the cutoff threshold. In this case, one may either run the big motor and alternator or the generator until the battery voltage comes up and the invertors power back up. Then it may be switched to shore power and returned to charging as normal (or stay on generator or alternator).

Wonder if you lost power out there for a long enough period of time for the invertors to pull the voltage down below the threshold, and if so, if the Liberty set up is similar to Marathons?

I also think you need to check your transfer switch. On my Legendary, I had a similar issue where on the road, with engine or generator running, all was fine. Pulled into garage and shut down gen and engine and plugged into shore power. Surge protector came on and went through it's time delay and switched to transfer switch and then nothing. There is a time delay relay in the transfer switch that had failed and was intermittent. There is an override switch on that delay relay so I was able to troubleshoot it fairly easily. Got that taken care of and all has been well since. That is where I would start if all other switches and breakers are good.

My theory on what happened here is that while in for service at Prevost Ft. Worth a couple of weeks ago they either switched the transfer switch to off or otherwise tripped it. In any event it was left in the off position and I didn't know it. This allowed the coach to drain the batteries as it's only source of power. Upon Gary's direction, I then checked and switched the transfer switch back to the on position. I believe that this didn't immediately correct the problem due to a "lazy" or weak relay as described by Paul above. But by firing up the generator, unplugging shore power, then plugging shore power back in, this caused the relay to engage and allow everything to start charging again properly.

Paul, I am going to search that post down and have Liberty send me a couple of relays, but my experience is like Hector's, these problems tend to reoccur at the worst possible time. Thanks for that post.

Gordon, I don't know about a voltage level cutoff for my Liberty, but it started charging right away once the relay engaged.

Just another learning experience..............Man am I glad for POG and for all of you who contribute, including the guys that sent emails directly to me. Thank You.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony Your voltage level cutoff is programable through you inverter. Check your owners manual for your inverter. If you don't have a manual for your inverter, state the make you have and someone may be able to help. Rick