Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Power! Inverters? Advice please

Default No Power! Inverters? Advice please

OK Poggers, bus sitting at home in my barn, I go out to check on her and find I have no power. No lights. No fridge. No anything. Electrical panel says I have shore power, but I obviously am not converting/inverting it into house power. When I start the bus, all comes on and begins charging and operating as it should. What should I be looking for at diagnosing my problem? As luck would have it, I just spent two days at Prevost a couple of weeks ago. Must be something contagious. I welcome all thoughts.

Tony
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Hi Tony. What do your two inverter displays read? If one is off, your inverter may have tripped off. There is a reset switch on each inverter.
    My other thought is the shore breaker may not be giving you 240 volt. Also, you have a main breaker
    on the port side 1st bay which may be partially off.
    Last edited by garyde; 01-21-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary, both inverter panels are on. The readings are Line Voltage 001 and load current 00.0 . The reset switches on each inverter were not tripped. The shore breaker in the first bay was in the off position, so I moved it to the on position. I thought that this would solve my problem, but when I checked the inverter panel it is still not showing any indication that the inverters are inverting. Still no power inside the coach without the engine running. All power that we are plugged into looks good and is 50 amp.........I am sure my batteries are taking a beating with this episode.

Any additional thoughts?
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony,
    You might consider unplugging the shore power and starting the generator. Most coaches have a system that monitors shore power and generator power sources for selection. The generator is the default power source, meaning the relay that switches these sources in the unenergized state, would be selecting the generator.. If you start the generator and all powers up, check the relay or driving circuitry that does this selection.

Let me know if this powers up the rig. I am suggesting unplugging simply to assure that the generator does not inadvertently get connected to shore power.

Hector

Hector, I fired up the generator and all works as it is supposed to. I am relatively clueless on where to locate the "relay or driving circuitry" that makes the selection, but will start going through my manuals and try to figure it out.

If any of you Liberty guys can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Update. After restarting generator and then plugging coach back in to shore power, everything appears to have reset and is now charging properly. Gary and Hector, I sincerely appreciate your responses. I hope this problem was that simple. I will know for sure in the morning. Thanks.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony, recently I inadvertently left my house batteries "on" and severely discharged my house batteries (brand new!). When I realized my problem, hooked up Shore Power but no chargo. My gen was not wanting to start (battery weak?, but different story) Nick Hessler to the rescue. After checking my inverter, etc, started the engine. It was sending a charge to the house batteries ok, but not sufficient to recharge anytime soon. I got the generator started and voila! everything going good. Hooked up Shore power again and shut gen down. Voila again! Inverter charging good, everything ok dokie. Hopefully I did not cause major damage to my new batteries and everything seems ok. Oh, the gen was hard starting, I found my fuel line from Racor to pump had some cracking in the rubber. No leakage of fuel, but thinking I was loosing my prime if not started regularly so a new line is in place. Hope yours goes as well

Tony,

Glad to hear all is well, at least for now. All converters seem to do things differently in regards to generator/shore power selection. I hope these knowledgeable Liberty guys jump in here to assist. I would certainly want to understand the elements of the circuitry for the system in your coach. Something caused it to not function, around my house, this sort of thing always seems to happen again at the most inopportune time.

Glad you got is going again.

Hector

Don't know if this will help in this particular situation but thought I'd pass on my experience.

Our Liberty started to fail to "latch" on occasion when connected to shore power. The problem in my case was a failing solid state relay in the Liberty transfer switch system. there are 2 time-delay relays, one for shore power and one for generator power, located in the transfer switch box in the first bay. Both relays are the same, so I swapped them to see if it corrected my problem and it did..... so I decided to replace both and keep the one old "good" one as an emergency spare.

I have posted the specifics elsewhere in the forum, so you can hopefully find it after a short search.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    Don't know if this will help in this particular situation but thought I'd pass on my experience.

Our Liberty started to fail to "latch" on occasion when connected to shore power. The problem in my case was a failing solid state relay in the Liberty transfer switch system. there are 2 time-delay relays, one for shore power and one for generator power, located in the transfer switch box in the first bay. Both relays are the same, so I swapped them to see if it corrected my problem and it did..... so I decided to replace both and keep the one old "good" one as an emergency spare.

I have posted the specifics elsewhere in the forum, so you can hopefully find it after a short search.

Hope this helps...
    Paul,

Good comment!

Hector