Thread: Engilne Oil light coming on and shutting down engine

Default Engilne Oil light coming on and shutting down engine

Have a detroit 60, leaving the tampa super show and oil pressure light came on and shut my engine off, put oil in from reserve tank and still runs for about 2 minutes and shuts off any help. Ray
    Last edited by Ray141; 01-15-2012 at 12:30 PM.

My first thought is are you sure it's an oil pressure light and not a 'stop engine' light? I'm not sure my coach is equipped with an oil pressure light.

If I suspected an oil pressure problem, first thing I would do is check the engine oil level with the dipstick. Ideally, this should not be done for until several minutes after shutting down the engine. Then, most coaches have an oil pressure gauge on the dash and a back-up oil pressure gauge on the upper forward wall of the engine bay adjacent to the electrical box.

p.s. my phone # is 928-486-5450

Is anything happening to the heat indicator and does the engine oil gauge show good pressurre when running?
    Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
    Pres

Quote Originally Posted by Ray141 View Post
    Have a detroit 60, leaving the tampa super show and oil pressure light came on and shut my engine off, put oil in from reserve tank and still runs for about 2 minutes and shuts off any help. Ray
    Joel, First off this is not my coach, I have a 2005 Vantare and my friend just picked up his coach used about 6 weeks ago and called me, I told him I never had the problem, but would check with friends from POG that might be able to help. Since I wrote the question, he has contacted Good Sam Roadside Asst. to come and help. He has checked the oil level and had to add about 5 guarts from the reserve tank and now said the level is good, but it is still shutting down. Thanks will post result when they find something out. Ray

The oil sensor could be bad. It will shut down the engine.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary, Roadside asst. came out could not fix, friend is on with Prevost now. Question, can the oil sensor be overriden or wires removed to temporaryly not trip engine shut off till we can get to detroit repair shop. Thanks it could be that. Ray
    Last edited by Ray141; 01-15-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Call Prevost and they will walk him thru it.https://www.prevostcar.com/?q=conten...service-system

Yes, the sensor can be disconnected but I do not have the particulars.

Gary and the many pog members that gave us some help on our problem. Yes, it was the oil sensor that was bad, happy to report Tampa Diesel in Tampa,Fl came to the Super Show and repaired the unit and also noticed that there was a warranty recall on the unit and asked to come to the shop when there work was completed and have it done. It took about 3 hours all no charge, I think they called it Barimetric Pressure Sensor and was under full warranty. Thanks again, hopefully after a couple of years I might be able to help someone owning a prevost. Ray and Charlotte

Its good to know where these 3 sensors are on your coach. Some folks carry spare sensors.