Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you trust your mechanic?

Thanks Joe. You are the finest Prevost mechanic out there. Alway felt in good hands when you have been working on my bus

Joe, you sure know all of the nuances. I looked at a late XL and my 03 H-3 lubrication charts and that lub point was not listed.

Here's another one. Some XL main door hinges have grease fittings.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

As usual Joe, a very interesting and enlightening post.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thanks guys.

Yes Gill my xl had entrance door hindge grease fittings. I noticed 1\8 in plastic lines coming off the back of the hindges going down and through and out the bottom of the bus. When I looked underneath there was nothing but spray foam so I dug away the factory undercarriage foam insulation and low and behold there were 2 grease fittings.

So would it be correct to assume because the fitting on the fan drive bellow is not on the grease chart it is not nessessary to grease it???

This is Pier at work after hours. U all know who Pier is right?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-15-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Ok Joe, Who is Pier?
    Dale & Paulette

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    So would it be correct to assume because the fitting on the fan drive bellow is not on the grease chart it is not necessary to grease it???

This is Pier at work after hours. U all know who Pier is right?
    I'm guessing that if it has a zerk fitting it should require periodic lubrication. If not, someone decided it was cheaper to leave the zerk on after they performed the one-time lubrication.

Joe has a friend at the factory in Quebec that doesn't show up in an company directory. Many don't even know Pierre. But those that do must have an in depth working knowledge of our coaches and have discovered those few things that don't seem to make sense except to Pierre, the original engineer behind those things. There are few companies that don't have a Pierre. It's just too bad no one can talk to those Pierres to understand their logic in the few things we just can't understand. It reminds me of my boating years and having owned boats powered by Cummins, Yanmar, John Deer and Volvo engines. I could change out the engine impellers critical to engine cooling in 15 minutes with all but the Yanmar engine. It took hours due to where it was located. Dumb, just plain dumb. Well at least that's my opinion until Yanmar's Pierre can explain why he didn't have a choice on location.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Very well put Gill.

Pier Prevost. The ghost at the factory in Quebec. He has his signature all over our chassis
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe,

I lubricated my chassis today, and I found the hidden grease fitting as you mentioned/showed in post # 10 of this thread. If you stick your hand in front of the engine fan mount you can feel the grease fitting.
    Dale & Paulette

Some r pointed a bit forward allowing u to reach up over the top as u did and put grease that way. Then others r facing slightly rearward and much much more difficult. A great candidate for a remote fitting attached with a tube.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

I tried to get to mine from underneath the bus while in the work pit, but that was not possible. Once I saw where it was, I was able to reach over the fan bracket and attach the grease hose, but I could not see it at that point.
    Dale & Paulette