Thread: Can you trust your mechanic?

Hybrid View

Default Can you trust your mechanic?

Just buying my coach a month ago I am going through all maintence so I know what has been done.
    Yesturday I changed the racor filter. When I pulled the filter out there was greasy finger prints all over the outside of the filter. The knuckle head mechanic obviously doesn't believe in using gloves or at least cleaning his hands!
    I also greased all the fittings and found 2 that wouldn't take grease so I replaced them. One was striped so I know someone at sometime knew this fitting wouldn't take grease!! Instead of being presistent to try to remove the fitting, they gave up and moved on. This is the very thing at will cost the coach owner alot more money in the long run!! I know there are a lot of very good mechanics out there and my hats off to them. Than again there are those that want you in and out and have on vested interest in you as a customer. I'm glad I'll be doing all I can so I "know" what has been done and will feel good about what I'm driving down the road. Just my thoughts. Rick

This scenario is exactly the reason you should "partner" with your technician whenever you have service work performed. I make it my mission to stay with the bus and observe everything as inspections are made and work performed.

The only other alternative is to do the job yourself. Although I do as much maintenance as I can within the limitations of my work space, tools and experience, there are inevitably times when a trip to either a Prevost service center or Liberty Coach is required. I DO trust their work.... but even the best can make an honest mistake or simply miss something.

That's when an extra pair of eyes can pay dividends.

And a GOOD technician will be thankful that the issue was caught before you left the service bay....

I 'partner" on all work I do not perform myself and it's still iffy. Recently, I was under the coach to repair a brake air leak and discovered a small coolant leak in the vicinity and a missing nut on a recently replaced airbag.

I don't think the grease guys goes by any schematics when lubing the chassis. I have found zerks that were completely covered up with road dirt. They were missed twice by a NW place that prides themselves in working on buses, and they were not found during my visit to Prevost Mira Loma this year. Found them while I was changing out my air bags this summer. So it is hit and miss and if it is missed to long forgotten forever.

Here is a comfort level idea when you get the bus greased. As tech's will tell you, they always grease "all" the zerks, ask him to count them as he does the job. When he tells you the number he did, you already know and if its not a match go over the locations. Doing it this way most techs will be paying a little more attention........ well lets hope so.
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 01-15-2012 at 07:46 PM.

I know where there is a fitting that is practicly impossible to see and even harder to grease. Every xl and xlv has it. LOL. Plenty of xlII and Hs have it too.

If anyone can guess it I will gladly honor u by happily greasing your chassis and getting them all.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-24-2016 at 11:58 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Let's see. There is a fitting on the steErin arm at the steering box facing the the spare tire bay. This one is often covered by the converter. Not the right one? How about the ones on the lift chambers?

Any hints? The good news is Prevost has a good location drawing.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion