Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Threat

Default California Threat

Because of the length restrictions I was wondering when/if we would ever be able to visit Californication. Looks like this will make that a never.

Do you just get the feeling of not being wanted in Calif. ? Fine, there are many other places to visit in North America.

Hmm, how does this effect us motorhome home owners, especially from out-of-state. The date of this article is from December 12, 2008. This has been effect for over 3 years.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 01-11-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

It's my understanding that motorhomes were specifically excluded from this legislation, with help from FMCA and others. The concept was that motorhomes drive a very small fraction of the miles that a trucker, or transit bus, and therefore they generally do not contribute as much to the smog problem. Heck, I'm lucky to drive 3500 miles a year, and most of that is heading east, out of CA!

Jon, the rules you refer to apply only to commercial vehicles, except that new vehicles/engines sold in the state must comply once the rules take effect. I understand that new Prevost/Volvo and MCI buses comply already, or will by the effective date of the regulations. Implementation of these rules, even for new sales, has been postponed to 2014 and is under consideration for additional revision.

As anyone who has driven here knows, many roads in California are in deplorable, even embarasing condition. Interstate 5 is almost impassable in places. Some have argued that is due our wise passage of laws that prevent imposition of adequate taxes, but I don't want to get all political. Anyway, I would think that the bad condition of the roads and attendant risk to life, limb and bus would provide stronger motivation to stay away than disagreement with the prevailing political views in the state. Everyone is certainly welcome to visit our breathakingly beautiful state, but anyone who does stay away just keeps the roads from getting a little worse for those of us who live here.

p.s.: Not sure if it disqualifies me from posting here, but I must disclose that I recently traded in my old bus on a super nice "plastic" coach. I confess that I miss the attention that comes from driving a Prevost, but the new rig just works better for the way we use it than would a newer Prevost, and is way less expensive. I'll be back, though. Looking forward to get back into the club as I get closer to retirement.

Still lurking on this site...

I guess I need to change my signature.

Bryan

Bryan, what did you end up purchasing?

Hi Ray. I bought an American Coach (Fleetwood) Revolution. Bath and a half model with 3 slides. Pretty dramatic increase in interior space over my non-slide Prevost, but of course can't compare in build or ride quality. It is nice that everything works, however, and it turns out that a lot of improvements have been made in vehicles in the last 20 years. (Four stroke engine, anti-lock disc brakes, 6 speed Allison, quiet generator, etc.) Who knew.

Bryan

California passes more laws than they can ever enforce. They have no money to implement half the laws now on the books.
    Its a joke we know all to well in the construction industry.

California wants to be known as the leader in so many things, they end up being the exact opposite.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide