Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When do you start the engin...in winter

It is a good edea, but i have to a flat exhaust tip

Thank Jim
    You must have seen the pictures? It the result of tree years of planification.
    all my batteries chargers, the house, the engine, and the generator,
    are somewhat intelligent, they stop went the batteries are full.
    I see the reading on my electric board.

I disagree with the "do nothing" suggestion. I agree the engine and transmission are harmed by short runs that do not get everything up to temperature because when cold they create a lot of moisture and need to be operated at normal temperatures long enough to drive out that moisture.

But I can almost bet the tire people will not agree with letting the coach sit for long periods on the tires without exercising them. They are made with compounds that are released through flexing that tend to prevent sidewall cracking. They will "flat spot" if sitting for a long time. Tire manufacturers who have presented seminars have told us the best way to store tires not being used is how they do it in a warehouse and that is to take the weight off them such as if they were sitting in a tire rack.

As to air in the aux system which many of us need for dump valves or other systems used in the house I am not aware of any conversion that protects the aux system with a good air dryer. The aux compressor therefore has the potential to introduce moisture to the aux system and moisture will mess up a lot of aux system components, including the Norgren valves which are the heart of the suspension system. If it has to be stored and still be useable, at least avoid the use of aux compressor air.

Like Jim I suggest if you need to keep it alive, use the inverters to maintain the house batteries and not necessarily chargers. Our inverters have the proper charging protocol (if set correctly) and will preserve the batteries.

Jon,

I like the idea of getting the coach weight off the tires. My BB is equipped with HWH hydraulic jacks capable of lifting the entire coach off the ground. I always store it with the jacks deployed. Before I leave the garage I glance down each side of the coach at the base of the tires. With the coach weight off the axles, the tires have no bulge at the contact patch; the sidewalls are uniform around the entire circumference. The only weight on the tire is the unsprung weight. I've never had issues with flatspotting. By all means, if you can safely do so, taking the sprung weight off the tires is great advice.

I also disagree with the "do nothing " in the life of a Prevost bus.
    Often you get a car or truck in the service business that is just a few years old and when you see the mileage it's very high. When you ask about having any trouble with it, often the reply is , no drive it every day, everything original, just routine service, runs great. It was a better to buy high mileage daily use over the road and 1-2 years old. They just have less problems.

Million mile 18 wheelers used every day and the average monthly mileage of 12000 miles is not uncommon in the trucking industry, I'am told.

Here is a brain teaser for Jon.....I just heard about.....Now with "Super Singles" do we call 18 wheelers .....10 wheelers ?

"Only real men have 18 wheelers now"
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 01-05-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Hey, THREAD CREEP AL,

I drive an eight wheeler. If I went to super singles on the drive could I drive in the left hand lane when the sign says no vehicles over six wheels in the left hand lane?????? I think eighteen wheeler is a generic term that will be around long after 18 wheels are gone. Old farts like Harry and Dan still call their Sub Zeros iceboxes.

Adding to the thread creep..........If someone has super singles on the drive and their coach has been retrofitted with 365 tires on the front axle and the tag has the original 315 tires, what size do they carry as a spare?

We gotta quit playing around or Jacques isn't going to play with us. Jacques one thing you will learn is that this bunch of misfits shouldn't be giving anyone advice. We always answer every question, but the odds of any of the answers being correct is slim. BTW, welcome to the asylum in case nobody was polite enough to do so when you first posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    BTW, welcome to the asylum in case nobody was polite enough to do so when you first posted.
    Best darn $14.99 I ever spent!

They make you pay????????

I was nice to Jacques.....I posted that I liked his roof.

At least I wasn't included in the old fart list....that was close one.

I didn't see any need to comment on Jacques roof. I though all Liberty coaches and the coaches of other converters all looked that good. Apparently if you are commenting on the roof Marathon coaches don't meet that standard.

I didn't call you an old fart like I did the dynamic duo of Dan and Harry because I was trying to be nice to you so I can get Maddie.

Your turn.