Thread: Battery Change over

Default Battery Change over

I am about to change my 4 Prevost Chassie batteries, I am with the understanding that when you flip the chassie disconnect switch to off position the Engine and transmission computers continue to draw current that leaves me to wonder if there is a certain procedure I should follow to change out the chassie batteries.

Also i am going to replace the 6 house batteries the same day.
    Last edited by Don; 12-26-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Don,

The chassis batteries are easy to replace if you do the following. Photograph the existing batteries, especially the cables so you can see where every cable is attached. It will help immensely if you number every cable end and attach a corresponding number to the battery posts. I just wrap masking tape around the cable and use a Sharpie, and then I make a diagram of the battery set up and assign the same numbers to the battery posts.

I then turn off both coach master switches, the 24 and 12 volt.

Then I remove the ground cable and clean it and all the other cables at the ground.

With the ground disconnected you can then remove all the cables. I wrap them with masking tape so I don't accidently hit a ground or another post and get a bunch of sparks. I clean all the cable connections. I remove and replace the batteries and carefully replace the cables ending with the ground connection. Before turning on the master switiches I double check the cable locations. Just take your time. It is an easy job if you take precautions to get the cables hooked up correctly and avoid hitting anything that is going to spark. Usually the sparking doesn't do any damage except to your heart when you jump a zillion feet.

Hi Don. I had no problem with the transmission and engine computer while changing out the chasis batteries. I did similar to what Jon recommends.
    Additionally, I did a drawing of my cables along with the photos. I also used green tape to place around the ground cables. Its a good idea to
    use tools with a insulating jacket so as to not touch hots to grounds accidentally.
    Also, there is a diagram of the chasis wiring on the inside of the door for the batteries.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thanks guys for the pressure relief.

Don,

Before you do anything with the cables, remove the ground wire at the equalizer. Then the last thing you do when done is hook the equalizer ground wire back up.

One other thing I learned. Remove your watch, and your ring.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40