Thread: Generator issue

Default Generator issue

I have a 93 Liberty Prevost and the genetator has been difficuly yo get to run. I turn the switch to the "on" position and in a few seconds I hear a click from the generator and will eventually trip the breaker. For some time, I could turn the switch on and on the third attempt it would start. Once started, the generator runs and performs fine. As time has gone by the number of tries to get the generator to run has increased . Now the genetator just clicks once but never starts. Any idea where to start? I am retiring next week and we need to get on the road soon! Thanks for any help!

Which breaker does it trip? Where do you here the click come from? What model generator is on your coach?

Jimmie,

I am not a generator guru, but I have experienced hard starting. That issue related to the generator in our first coach which had a Kubota engine. The present generator has a Yanmar and has been an easy starting generator.

After a period of non-use our Kubota powered generator would crank a long time, sometimes tripping the breaker as you describe. The problem was associated with fuel evidently flowing back out of the generator fuel system. It always would act like I had just changed fuel filters. My "fix" was to put 12 volts to the fuel pump leads. The fuel pump would click rapidly and as the fuel flowed and pressure built up the clicking would become labored and eventually quit. At that point if I initiated the start cycle the generator would fire right up with minimal spinning.

I did this procedure just prior to every trip and throughout our trip or travels the generator would fire up and run easily.

My guess is there is a fuel line check valve that was leaking. But I don't know that for sure.

On my current generator I had a fuel pump fail, so I would not rule out a weak or failing fuel pump.

The breaker that trips is the one on the box near the outside generator switch. The click comes from the generator area as if the starter solenoid failed to engage of maybe the starter. Not sure but I think it is a Yanmar. I will check tomarrow.

Jimmie,
    I have a Yanmar engine on my Martin Diesel generator. I, too, had a breaker switch tripping on the same box. I spent a couple of hours at a Yanmar dealer in LA where they couldn't find anything amiss with the starter (where the clicking came from). It was when they wiggled the wire connections in that box that the breaker is mounted on. One of the breaker wires was a little loose and needed reseating. Perhaps a few minutes of wiggling inside yours will give you good results.
    It's been 9 months since the wiggle session and it continues to start like a champ! (and we dry camp a LOT!)

Can't help but wonder about the condition of the generator battery. What is it's age and condition. Have you checked the integrity of the battery cable connections. That "one click" you mention, are you sure it is not the starter solenoid?

Enjoy retirement, JIM

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jimmie....I had a similar situation at the Austin rally, and Ben from Coach Worx and I found a loose connection near the relay on the Genset.. Check all electrical connections. It seemed to be my problem.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Jimmie,
    Pete is right on. You seem to have a drag on the starter that is amping out the switch.
    Connections and ample electrical power are generally the basic culprits and then a look for a drag within the starter itself. It has to be found. Check the basics of an 1.) an accumulation of oxidation on the positive side, etc on both the battery and then the starter. 2.) Sometinmes, the positive wire can become corroded under the rubber insulation?? ...even to the extent of disturbing the electrical flow 3.)Does the starter have a solenoid on the outside? Is it defaulting? Can it be bridged so that the starter turns over ?? This will tell you about the condition of its internal parts 5.) Is the starter ring gear trying to engage or is it hindered? Is the click coming from the starter ring gear as it hits the flywheel?
    PRES

Thanks for all the hints! Looks like I have some inspections, thinking, chewing and spitting to do! I will let you knnow what I find. jimmie