Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washer and Dryer Install

Default Washer and Dryer Install

Like many of you have done, I am contemplating replacing my Splendide Washer/Dryer combo with a common household seperate front loading washer and dryer. My question is after I pull the old unit what electrical changes do I need to do or, will the new units utilize the old Splendide electrical hookup. I haven't pulled mine to see what is behind there or see how the old unit is hooked up so your input would be appreciated. Also any recommendations on the replacement brand and model. Thanks.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Rick,

The key is to start with your electric panel and see what power you have supplying your current unit. If the Splendide has a 240 volt supply (2 side by side breakers) you are OK if each of the two new units requires 120. We have the stack type separate units and each runs on 120. If your Splendide is only wired for 120 you need to somehow get another circuit back there.

Some Splendide did not have a dryer vent. They used a condensate drain. If that is the case you also need to get a dryer vent in place.

Hello Rick,

In February of this year, our Splendide combo went bezique on us and it could not be repaired due to availability of parts. So, I replaced the single unit with a separate Splendide washer and dryer. There was not enough room to stack the two so I had to take adjacent closet space to install the dryer. The change out presented two problems. First, 120V power supply to the dryer. Secondly, exhausting the dryer to the outside. I solved these two problems as follows:

Electrical: After removing the old combo and assessing the situation, I decided to use the power supply to the baseboard heater in the bathroom for the dryer as a temporary solution. At that time, it was my intention of running a separate circuit for the dryer once we returned home. I haven't gotten around to running the new circuit yet. In the interim, we use a small Pelonis ceramic heater to heat the bath.

Exhaust: After checking with Liberty on possible solutions (they recommended cutting a hole in the side of our coach and installing an exterior grill), I decided to re-route the duct work inside the dryer ( side discharge as opposed to rear discharge) and plumb the dryer duct work to the existing dryer discharge. On our 1994 Liberty, the existing discharge is in the floor which discharges warm, moist air to the outside beneath the coach.

My wife loves the separate units and no longer uses laundry facilities where we are staying. I think you would enjoyed the new Splendide as they have made significant improvements over the old unit I replaced.

Hope this helps!

Bosch also makes ventless condensate dryers that might solve some of the installation problems.

I don't think you need to use your baseboard power supply for your new washer. Just use one leg of your 220 volt old washer power supply and change out the breaker to a single 110 volt breaker and cap the ends of the other hot leg off with wire nuts and tape them for extra security. For the empty hole in your AC panel, install a blank plug that looks like a breaker or an actual breaker that is not connected to any thing. (Label this accordingly for future info or for a new owner)

I think Rick's electrical concerns are likely to be affected by what power was provided to the Splendide he is removing and how Thompson set up the circuit breakers. I think Buddy's post reflects using a double breaker such as the 50 amp breakers we usually see for shore power, but I have noticed each converter has their own preference when it comes to breakers and how their electrical panel is set up. Rick's only concern may be venting, or he may have to get more involved and run a new electric line, or none of the above, all depending on how it was originally set up

The problem that I have is that the coach is parked in the warm weather of Naples Florida and I'm up here in NJ where the temperature isn't so pleasant. However I do remember that the Splendide unit is vented out the bottom. What I need to determine is how the electricity is set up. I don't know whether there is 110 or 220 presently going to the unit. Do the new dryer units run on 110? I thought they all needed a 220.
    Last edited by rickdesilva; 12-12-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

I don't know about Splendide, but our apartment sized Kenmore stackables work on 120 each, and the best part is they have provide more useful, trouble free service for us than any Splendide we had ever did.

Rick,

All the Splendide's I have had ran on 120, but they have all been the combo and the one I have now is ventless and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by rickdesilva View Post
    The problem that I have is that the coach is parked in the warm weather of Naples Florida and I'm up here in NJ where the temperature isn't so pleasant. However I do remember that the Splendide unit is vented out the bottom. What I need to determine is how the electricity is set up. I don't know whether there is 110 or 220 presently going to the unit. Do the new dryer units run on 110? I thought they all needed a 220.
    Rick,
    We're down here with your coach. If you want me to break in and check something, let me know.