Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A funny thing happened to me on the way to the DMV

Just to throw another log in the fire on this thread, Ronald. What did the insurance company have to say about the bus insurance ? What year are you paying premiums on? If you leave this as is and enjoy your bus (Jon's point) maybe this is the time to be paying insurance on the year the DMV says.

Another point with Jon and Truk with all there buried dollars in coffee cans around the yard........this is not an issue as both being "self insured".

I always get this confused as the insurance company will write the policy for ..agreed value or depreciated value and give the bus owner the option. Of course policy premiums are based on the owners decision and the year of the bus.

Ron,When your coach was on ebay I asked the seller for the vin number because I knew that that coach and the red one had been for sale for a number of years,I think that I first remember your coach for sale in 2006 and it might have been listed as a 2006 at that time,I was almost sure that the shell was not newer than a 2005 but I was aware that it had 365 tires which meant that it was at least a 2004 or newer shell.The vin number confirmed that it is a 2005 shell and in most buyers opinion that understand our conversions it really is a 2006 conversion.A 2004 Liberty was sold recently which has a 2004 shell,I would think that most buyers would think that they are getting something extra in this case and I would think so also.With almost all converters gone except for a couple the values of the orphan coaches are what the market has decided they are worth.

These vehicle are built as an incomplete vehicle by Prevost. The conversion company then completes the vehicle, and issues the Title as a manufacturer. We have had success in California getting the year changed with a statement of facts, and an inspection. Your coach should have 2-placards, one from Prevost that will say that it is an incomplete vehicle, and a second from Techner showing the completion of the vehicle and model year. Every state is different in how they operate their DMV. I would recommend finding an independent Title company that handles vehicle registration in your state. They should be able to help you, and let you know if this will be possible in your home State. This is also a common problem that many other motorhomes have, including popular Class C models that are built on a incomplete van type chassis. Most DMV offices have a Vin decoder built into their computer systems, that will spell out the year based on the Vin number. They need to override this feature on these types of vehicles. Please feel free to call us if we can be of assistance (800) 460-7989.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Wow!
    Did I ever get beat up. I am going to go lick my wounds. I lost this one I really have to admit!
    I was trying to encourage Ronald but did not do a good enough job. I stand corrected.
    I do agree in retrospect that the buyer will be very tough on any negotiations....that is a great, great point. (2005 versus 2007 is huge under these thought processes).
    It would be interesting to me to know if the sellers of the coach advertised the coach as being a 2006 and then later changed the coach to a 2007 ?
    I am not a lawyer but do know that fraud is defined as the intential omission of a material fact....an obvious intent to deceive.
    Is a motor coach like a house where caveat emptor "let the buyer beware" prevails? Yet, even on a house in Texas you have to sign a statement that you are not aware of material defects, etc.
    Pres

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Hi Ken, thanks for your response. The coach was previously titled in Wisconsin to one of the silent partners of the now defunct Teschner. The Ohio dealer (Beannies) flipped the title, put it in his name and I got an Ohio title from him. I do have copies of all of them. Prevost confirmed the VIN belongs to a 2005 shell and the plate confirms this, too. The Teschner plate states 09/2006. I was shown a 2007 title and did not see a reason for questioning this. Well, I have to go to the main office of the DMV for other reasons and will try to talk to somebody about this. It will be an interesting conversation.

Ronald,

We ran into the same dilemma with our 1984 Airstream 270 Classic Class A motorhome.
    There are two VIN's, one is from Chevrolet for P-30 454 equpped chassis, and the other is from Airstream. Both are 17 digits long, with the 10th digit indicating year. In our case, Colorado insisted on using the 10th digit "B" indicating 1983 fropm the chassis, instead of a "C" on the Airstream VIN for 1984.. Well, it did work out using the 1983 VIN let us in on being able to get "Classic Colloector plates" instead of regular plates. At the time, 1983 was 26 years from year 2009. This meant the coach was over 25 years old and we were eligible for different permanent plates.. This also meant, we could do a one-time emissions test, and got a 5 year paid up front, plate stickers. So, in the end, for us it worked out.
    For our bus, its a 1992 shell, and a 1992 conversion, so we lucked out there with no headache. Good luck. Be sure to tell us your story once you emerge from the main office, hopefully in one piece. Take chair and whip, you may need it.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 12-07-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Steve is 'spot on' in his acessment of your situstion. The key element for you will be wether your coach was ever previously titled.
    I hate to say, but when you're spending a small fortune on something with a title, you should use as much caution as buying something with a deed.
    It's much easier to sort out any issues, prior to, rather than after.

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    Ron,When your coach was on ebay I asked the seller for the vin number because I knew that that coach and the red one had been for sale for a number of years,I think that I first remember your coach for sale in 2006 and it might have been listed as a 2006 at that time,I was almost sure that the shell was not newer than a 2005 but I was aware that it had 365 tires which meant that it was at least a 2004 or newer shell.The vin number confirmed that it is a 2005 shell and in most buyers opinion that understand our conversions it really is a 2006 conversion.A 2004 Liberty was sold recently which has a 2004 shell,I would think that most buyers would think that they are getting something extra in this case and I would think so also.With almost all converters gone except for a couple the values of the orphan coaches are what the market has decided they are worth.
    That 04-04 was me and, in my mind, I priced it in comparison to an '05 Marathon that I knew had recently sold because it's shell was also an '04.

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Default Merry Christmas To Me!

After the shock wore of, I visited the main office of the NH DMV in Concord, NH.
    Much to my surprise, very little pleading was required. I presented copies of the previous 2 titles (WI and OH, both documenting 2007) and after the clerk made a call to the titling office, I was instructed to return the 2005 title which had just been mailed to me, to replace it with a 2007 title. I did not waste any time at all and should have my new 2007 title in hand in a few days. As always, thanks for all comments!
    Cheers,
    Ronald
    En route to Toronto for the holidays...

We are pleased with your success and I'm thinking....margaritas and nachos