Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TexasDrifters "Pneumatic Reliability Upgrade"

Default TexasDrifters "Pneumatic Reliability Upgrade"

Leak FREE! Yes, my coach is "Bubble Tight!

Those words are extremely rare in the Prevost community. But my coach, a 1994 model XL chassis, is leak free (both the braking system (Pri/Sec) and auxiliary air!). Now I know their are those "doubters", (you know who you are) that might doubt this, but it is true. I have had my coach on test for 5 days and have not lost one pound of air pressure in either system. For my coach, this is a first (during my ownership).

How did I do it! Simple! (All it takes is a little time and patience.......)

First, I used the nationally renowned "Texas Bubbler" as a leak detector and installed a "TexasDrifters Pneumatic Reliability Upgrade". This is a non - Prevost modification that included a 12 volt solenoid (I purchased the solenoid from www.airridefittings.com, a great supplier for air fitting and accessories) that blocks the air supply to the step well floor slide and ISRI seat when the key is turned off. These two converter installed items, IMO, are the two worst potential "leakers" on the coach. (You will need to locate a "switched" 12 volt (or 24 volt if you want to use that as a switched voltage) location in the Prevost electrical panel in front of the coach to control the solenoid). Attempting to get these two devices leak free will represent challenges that could mean continuous routine component maintenance and/or design changes, especially for the floor slide (as simple as the floor slide cylinder looks, if the shaft alignment is not perfect or is "floating", it will leak around the shaft seal when the slide is in the retracted position). I also found that my auxiliary air compressor was leaking back "through the compressor". So I installed a double check valve setup at the outlet to the converter installed aux compressor/inlet to converter installed air tank (not Prevost aux air tank). So after installing this modification and repairing a few minor leaks, 100% leak free.

A sidebar comment, I am one that thinks any modification to the Prevost suspension system requires much thought. I would probably do this only in an emergency, as a temporary fix. Remember, Prevost has a staff of design engineers developing things for durability and safety. I take a "hands off" approach to Prevost suspension modifications. Their systems works great and very long-lasting!

Many POG members may remember my comments at the Austin Rally, "That I "MANAGE" my air system leaks. What that means, I manage my leaks to a tolerable amount, then find and correct the leaks (the only leak free coach I have ever seen in when it is sitting in my bus barn). Once I take it out for a spin, all bets are off. So I am bragging now, while it last. Seriously, once your coach is tightened up, it should last a while, unless you have a component failure. The last time I did this level of air leak detection was three years ago. My aux air compressor was running twice a day, so it was time to check things out.

I call my coach "the other woman", because she is complicated and definitely a high maintenance gal. But when all systems are "fine tuned" and she is "tight (I mean air tight), she is ..........., she is ..........., well, the she is ....... "the other woman."

I'm happy!

Hector

Hector,

That is GREAT! I have often wondered if the step slide was an issue. I think you have really got this whole air leak thing figured out!!!

Good going Hector. Glad to see a CC guy thumping his chest amongst all those Buddy Brand buses.

And may I say you are truly an asset to the POG membership. Your efforts, experience, and attention to detail are appreciated.

Leak free is definitely worth bragging about.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Congratulations Hector!!

Attaining "leak-free" status is a tremendous accomplishment and you have every right to brag about it. I consider my bus as "leak-free enough" when I get the aux compressor to cycle only once or twice a day, but you have far surpassed my goals.

Isolating the step well cover and seat sounds like good advice.... I'll have to check that out.

Job well done!!

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

You and your coach are literally "FLOATING ON AIR". Way to go Hector! Keep that P/N handy, because I think that may be one of my trouble areas.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Hector CONGRATS but we all know it is only temporary.

My hat is off to you Hector and you can best be described as a man on a mission to the leak free zone. Post the message under your name...air leak free 12-07-2011.

You have earned bragging rights

Jealous of the other woman. I am JEALOUS. Congratulations, I know that has to be a terrific feeling. I am afraid I will never know that feeling.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Mine's next right Hector???
    Good job !!
    Wow !!

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Great job Hector! Isolating the step well slide is a good move, I just took the other route and decided to fix the leaking cylinder, but I won't do it again, I'm still sore in places I forgot about.

IMG_4520_1.jpg