Thread: RE: My New (Old) Coach

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii, but the state does not allow motorhomes.

Default RE: My New (Old) Coach

Hello!

Even though I am new to your Forum, I was told by the ex-owner if I ever needed anything, I could ask the Forum, and SOMEBODY would know the answer. Therefore, I will try to explain what is happening:

Referencing Prevost Liberty Elegant Lady VIP 1993: There is a positive ground that faults out the shore power panel on the left side, situated next to the refrigerator. I was told this mechanic was very good, but over a week now, even a referral to Don at Liberty has not brought enlightenment. I guess "Line One" is the issue, and the problem remains elusive.

Eve though I am totally ignorant of such things, I'm wondering if any of you would have some idea where....or how... this problem could be found and solved? Somebody out there must have had a similar problem, and was able to re-route the electrical line, or replace it, to solve this issue. I'm counting on hearing from the Elegant Lady Angel that it is an easy fix!

Thank you for any assistance you might offer me.

Patricia Arthur
    808-989-5700
    Berea, KY 40403

Ground faults are sometimes difficult to find. A ground fault is simply a leakage of current from the incoming power source to ground. It could be in the wiring but most probably is in something powered inside the coach.

I would start by turning off all 110 volt breakers inside the coach. Then connect shore power. If you do not have a ground fault at that point, everything up to the circuit breaker panel is OK.

Next flip one of the circuit breakers on and see if you have a ground fault. If you don’t, turn off the first breaker and then proceed to the next breaker until you find the breaker that gets a ground fault trip.

To verify that the problem is only with that breaker, turn it off and turn on all breakers except the one the indicated a ground fault. If you don’t have a ground fault at that point, the problem is likely something power by that breaker.

Turn off all the breakers again. Then turn off everything powered by that breaker in the coach. Once again turn on the breaker that showed a ground fault. If you don’t have a ground fault at that point one, start plugging in or turning on one appliance, light etc. until you get the ground fault to trip. The last item you turned on is the problem.

It’s just a process of elimination.

Great advise John. I learn somthing new. Great way to norrow down the problem and save money?

I have seen a similar problem before caused by a backfeed situation with the transfer relays in one of the inverter/chargers, but the previous post with the "process of elimination" is the best procedure to find the culprit. I have seen situations that were cumulative though, so do both the "one at a time" load test, and the "keep turning one at a time on" process and see what the results are. If I can be of assistance, let me know.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii, but the state does not allow motorhomes.

My special thank you to John Klopp and Ben Cummings for your comments referencing the apparent issue with the ground faults. Because the mechanic in KY feels it is over his head, the wonderful person I purchased it from, John Flynn (MO), has contacted a Liberty Service Manager in Stuart, FL., to ask if they could look it over.
    I was headed for Naples over a week ago, and this thing has kept me in KY for longer than I would want to be, so I'm hoping to make it down there by the end of the week.
    You folks have gone out of your way to assist me, and again, I certainly appreciate your expertise, and the time it took to write your thoughts to me. Thank you.

Hi SydnyG and welcome to POG. On my breaker panel, and in the instructions for pluging into shore power. You are to leave all circuit breakers off and then plug into shore power. Then look at your panel indicators to verify you have the proper voltage and no reverse polarity. Those indicators are on your breaker panel. Once you have verified this is ok, then begin turning on the circuit breakers you need to use.
    Also, you can turn on your generator instead of using shore power to determine if it is a cord issue.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by SydnyG View Post
    My special thank you to John Klopp and Ben Cummings for your comments referencing the apparent issue with the ground faults. Because the mechanic in KY feels it is over his head, the wonderful person I purchased it from, John Flynn (MO), has contacted a Liberty Service Manager in Stuart, FL., to ask if they could look it over.
    I was headed for Naples over a week ago, and this thing has kept me in KY for longer than I would want to be, so I'm hoping to make it down there by the end of the week.
    You folks have gone out of your way to assist me, and again, I certainly appreciate your expertise, and the time it took to write your thoughts to me. Thank you.
    Welcome to POG!

Troy is the man in Stuart. I just met him myself for the first time last week, but have spoken with him several times. I am not sure how Liberty got him, but they made out by doing it! He can probably fix anything, so no worries!

Welcome to POG, Patricia! I know you'll fit right in to the "asylum" if you bring your warped sense of humor, your thick skin, and your ability/willingness to give as good as you get!

Seriously, you'll not find a more inclusive, generous, or kind group of people anywhere on earth. POG is truly like family - we take care of our own!

I hope you get your electrical issues resolved quickly so you can get on down to Naples! Keep us informed!