Thread: Newbie question about raising or dropping height

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Default Newbie question about raising or dropping height

I am barely 1 month into our Prevost ownership and have an awful lot to learn about the coach. Our previous RV has air ride but it cannot be controlled. Here is my question. I will be taking the coach down a 300-400 feet long dirt road driveway to stay at my brother in law's place and want to avoid bottoming out. So my thinking is, I can raise the level to maximum? What is maximum? Will it stop automatically when it reaches maximum height? And the other way around, how do I dump air? I do apologize for my ignorance and will appreciate all advice. Thanks, Ronald

Ron, I would not raise the coach unless you absolutely need to clear an obstruction. When the coach is raised fully, there is not any additional travel available. If you are on very uneven surfaces it can pull on the shocks, and damage components. If you do need the height to clear an obstacle, drive very slowly.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

My experience has been that it stops automatically at some point; not sure if it's a max up stop designed in the suspension or max air pressure has been reached. I agree with Steve re: use caution. Ride is very stiff and could cause flexing. I perform this function only when necessary. I'm uncertain whether my coach has a Prevost, Liberty or hybrid system; mine will dump air automatically back to ride height when I select normal...try it when you're stationary. When I no longer need addl road clearance, I select normal and accelerate.

All coaches are different when it comes to raising from drive height. On mine, I can switch from Ride Height to Manual. Then I can raise or lower by three seperate switches. One raises or lowers the front, two raise or lower right and left rear. The coach will raise approx. 6 inches above ride height. It is recommended to travel at a very slow rate at a lower or higher ride height. However, I have accidently driven at a high ride height when forgetting to lower several years ago. Nothing was damaged.
    Regarding dirt roads, a 45 ft. Prevost weighs approx 48,000 pounds . If the road is not properly designed, you may quickly find yourself in trouble sinking into the ground encountering wet or soft spots in the road. Engineered gravel roads are ok but stay away from the shoulders.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Here is another angle to consider on travel on the dirt driveway. Prior to travel on the dirt roads I have learned the hard way heading into campgrounds. In over 10 years twice driven into trouble. Both times listening to someone else.
    With all due respect...walk the drive way before you drive on it. Travel off hard pack dirt with your 48,000 lb bus in soft dirt with just a nano second of slowing ...your sunk into the black hole.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Ronald,

Here are some things for your consideration:

First, tell that cheap brother in law to pave his driveway if he wants to be graced with the presence of your coach.
    Second, tell your brother in law that he must have a tree trimming crew come in and limb up all the trees that he does not have to worry about in his vehicle but you do in your Prevost.
    Third, have you even considered how you will get turned around in order to leave by using your brother in law's driveway? The turning radius on a Prevost is around 45 feet. Just think of the space required to make a three point (or more) u-turn. Is there enough space to do that?
    Fourth, how wide is the driveway where it connects to the highway system, and is there enough width for you to make the initial turn into the driveway. I'd bet not.
    Finally, don't try it with your toad vehicle connected! Way too complicated!

I agree with the walk the driveway comment posted earlier. That means you walk the driveway not your brother in law. Its your responsibility to make certain you are capable of operating your coach on his driveway not the other way around. Oh yea, just how wide is the driveway? That is another factor to consider before taking the plunge down the driveway.

As a newbie I can see this whole experience going badly and with some major expenses for repairs or towing.
    Last edited by Will Garner; 11-23-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Thanks, Will!
    I do totally agree with your points 1 and 2. My brother in law lives on 60 acres outside Toronto and enters his property off of a wide country road. So no problems getting in. The driveway is wide enough for his RV so it is wide enough for me. But, it is a dirt road. The comments and suggestions about wet spots etc. are well taken. I would not even try, unless, the grounds are frozen solid. Anyway, thanks for all replies. Much appreciated! I shall report outcome after Christmas ... :-)

Ronald I have to negotiate a gravel road when I leave the parkway to my motor home barn, about 300'. Make sure if you have OTR to turn it off on all dirt roads, will make one big mess. at the barn my drive is 90' wide, needed because I have to make two 90 degree turns while backing into the barn. I graded the drive to a depth of 8" and installed 8" of compacted ABC, no problems with the soft stuff! Originally before the stone I would get off into the grass a little I would sink down 2-3" when dry. Have been stuck in soft dirt before feels like someone grabbed the bus from behind it stopped so fast. I do not go to grass camp sites. Gary