Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow bars & baseplates?

I now use the heavier steel tow bar from BlueOx towing a Yukon or Ford Pickup. I started out with an aluminum BlueOx towbar, towing a Saturn. Had a failure right before I entered I-65 in Mobile, Al. Luckily I was not going fast and got it under control without any damage. BlueOx was great on their service. They wanted the tow bar back for inspection and gave me a new steel towbar with all new accessories as a replacement. Had good luck with the steel towbar over the years pulling heavier vehicles.

We use the Blue Ox Aventa dragging a custom 2005 PT Cruiser and absolutely LOVE it! No muss - no fuss - effortless hook-ups and disconnects with a very discreet baseplate configuration that makes it almost impossible to tell that the car is set up for towing unless you look really close. We like that, because as a former custom show car, it's nice that the Blue Ox set up doesn't really detract from the appearance of the front bumper/grill! We also use the "Wireless Tow Lights" and think it's an unbeatable combination with the Blue OX Aventa both aesthetically and operationally!
    Last edited by michaeldterry; 11-21-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Correct typo/spelling error

Thanks for all respondents' comments. The update on this is that I have selected the Demco towbar, which I was totally ignorant of before beginning the research. The reason, without benefit of actual experience at all on my part, is that it has the highest weight rating, is not aluminum, and does not (it says) drop to the ground when disconnected at the toad. Additionally, it appears at the moment that I will use the BlueOx baseplates (still looking into this). I will use the SMI brake system for its technical advantages, keeping in mind the toad is a jeep and the brakes are poor enough without trying to apply them without vacuum boost. This will all be done post holidays, so if anyone wants to yell at me for some reason on my choices, I guess the thread will still be open to change my mind.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.
    Last edited by Kenneth Brewer; 11-21-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Ken, you might want to consider the M&G brake for simplicity, and cost if you are towing a Jeep. No air tank to fool with, yet it is operated by air from the coach. Hook up is simply the connection of a quick disconnect air line. It will not work if you are going to tow a 2011, or 12 Grand Cherokee.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

We use Roadmaster towbar BlackHawk 2 All-terrain 10000 lb

Ken, if you go with the Demco bar, and Blue Ox base plates you will need to get 2 of the Blue Ox ends. The Demco tab is not compatible with the Blue Ox tabs. The Blue Ox ends will bolt up to the Demco Bar. I would expect them to be $50.00 or so.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Roadmaster and tow a 6500lb Duramax pick up for over 50,000 miles with no issues.

I have the Roadmaster all terrain 10,000 LB with the M&G brake system and it has worked perfect.

JIM

Ditto jack14r and rahangman. Our Roadmster Sterling works perfectly, and it is one handsome piece of engineering.

Thanks to all again, and to Steve Bennett for his Demco suggestions. Pete, I looked at M&G; I will contact you via PM.