Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ANYONE KNOW THE REASON WHY??

[QUOTE=Coloradobus;79224]We are contemplating a small toad. Been looking at Ford Ranger Stick shift 4X4 which is the guides say with tranny stick in neutral and transfer case twist knob in the 2Hi position. Rangers have remained unchanged from 1993 to 2011. Rangers can be towed for unlimited miles, but .................

Jim, Just sayin here and not for you to rely on it too much, but the way I understand it the good part about 4X4 for towing is that all you do is put the transfer case in neutral,.........NOT the other way round as stated above.

Aditionally if towing as you indicate and something goes wrong, HOW would anyone but you know WHY?

Also how would it be determined that you exceeded 55mph?

JIM

JIM

Jhe directions for the RANGER 4X4 manual stickshift is as follows. The rotary knob you twist for 2 HI, 4 HI, 4Lo, needs to be placed in the 2 HI position and the stickshift left in neutral. This is different than other four-by-fours where the transfer case is in 'Neutral" and and in automatics trannies, you place in park, and in some stickshifts you place in "first." This setup to me is similar to a 2 wheel drive stickshift vehicle.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

I have a 2007 ranger automatic 4 x 4 needed to add a ford part to neutralize tranny says 55 mph have towed it several times over 1200 miles at 70 mph no issues. I now tow AWD ford flex just put in neutral turn key off and go same conditions no issues. I think and my dealer neighbor says 55 is liability only no mechanical reason. FWIW good luck

I am interested in the different RPM ranges and the different speeds being posted. On my '98 body model used for the '99 and "00 years of production, my Series 60 runs 1590 RPM at 65 MPH...all day long at 190 to 195 degrees engine temp with the a/c clutch on and the dash air functioning. My read out says 7.8 MPG... I drive with the cruise on as much as possible but when I get in any terrain that causes the turbo to increase into the 20# range, I drive it by hand. At 1800 RPM, I am over 70 MPH.
    How does this add up with others? I have burned two quarts of motor oil over about 4500 miles. I admit I drive the coach very softly but it works for me.
    In addition, if you change the gear ratios, will this not change the intended transmission / engine / gear selection designed by Allison?
    Pres

Pres, I think you are inadvertently "guilty" of thread creep here and result may be that you will get fewer responses than if you had added to or started a new thread concerning gear ratio or fuel mileage. The search function will get you started in the right direction.

That said, your numbers coincide with mine. I also have a 98 chassis conversion (Royale). I have heard from other sources that a very standard gear ratio is 4.56/1 which is what I am running. I tow a Tahoe and cruise at 62mph.
    Last edited by BrianE; 11-30-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Prez, I re posted this info on our here.
    http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...8V-1992-500-HP
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Yeah I know lots of reasons why, I just don't know any whatfor's
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali