Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8V Won't Fire

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Paul,

I'm a very happy camper that only a relay was causing the problem. The NAPA replacement number for the relay is AR394.

I wish I was on the road. I retired and the wnet back to work for a PEF the following Monday. Hunny Do list was way to long!

Thanks all for your guidance on my problem.

Will
    Were they able to cross ref your defective relay using the NAPA interchange data base ?

Got a part # to share, Cousin of my, 90???? I have had to replace both starting solenoids as they tend to get HOT then freeze up...Yup, carry a spare one of them too.

AR-394 is the part number from Will's post #21 above, Our Napa carries them at about $26 and some change.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Will.....is that an "extended use" solenoid? I can't think of the other name.

Rodger,

Its a simple old electro-mechanical relay. Activates with a 24V input and closes a circuit that outputs 12V. That is about the extent of my knowledge on relays, this one specifically. Now if I could just get those dang toad taillights to keep working ....

You have trouble keeping your toad tail lights working....too? It seems about everyother trip I wind up redoing mine. I have gone to the process of running seperate wires from front to back, completely isolating the Jeep system, by boring holes in bottom of taillight assy and using seperate bulbs, no diodes or anything. Still have to play with it though. Sheeesh as if the bus doesn't keep me busy.

Rodger,

Roger That.

Mine are wired separately from the toad's regular light system. Two new bulbs in holes drilled through inside of taillight housing. New wiring all the way back to the connector on the tow plate. Mine my go for several trips, no problem. Then the next trip out, no taillights. Brake lights work fine. Turn signals work fine. The center relay of the five relays in the CC electrical box is always the one that is causing the problem, or maybe suffering from a feedback problem from another source. Of course if that is the case why do the taillights work at all after changing out the relay.

I've been thinking of taking out the CC electrical box and replacing it and everything in it with new stuff. That would include sockets for the relays instead of individual wires to each of the contact posts and a connector between the Prevost 24V panel wires and the CC panel wires. All that is holding me back is my profound ability to make sparks fly when doing electrical work!
    Last edited by Will Garner; 11-19-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Will, well, pardner, good thinking. I had a thought brought to my mind from Branson Motor Coach, they suggested running a dedicated ground wire though my homemade harness instead of relying on a ground at the installed aux light bulb. Soon to happen. Should be simple even for me. No sparks today.

Will being that you have individual wires to the terminals on the relays. Have you check the voltage to make sure the wires are on the right posts and their are no shorts.