Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8V Won't Fire

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default 8V Won't Fire

OK, here is the sequence of events. We went to SC on 22 Oct. Great trip. Filled up at Jack's in Lancaster SC. I've gotten diesel there before no problem. Run home was uneventful. Cleaned coach and put it back in the bus barn. On the 29th October pulled the bus out to put a pick-up truck inside the barn too. Pulled the coach back in. Yesterday I went over to the bus barn to dump the fresh water tank and winterize the water lines and traps. I needed to pull the coach out of the barn to do that so unplugged, got in and turned the ignition key. The engine cranked just fine. It made some whitish smoke as is normal when it first fires, but would not start. I tried several times, same result. I even tried using ether in the little ether cup, same result - smoke but no fire.

Today I'm taking the DDEC I-II code reader (thanks Ray and Tom) with me to see if there is a code showing. I may have a set of fuel filters so they will get changed too, even though they were changed in September 2011. I'll also be looking at any wiring that may have been vandalised by little four legged varmints.

What I need to know is what others have found to be a solution to their problem when encountering a "cranky" 8V? Remember, the fuel tank is full.

As always, any guidance from members of this group is more than welcome.

Lightbulb

All I can add Will is my experience with the series 60 which might be totally different with an 8v. My fuel lines on the suction side deteriorated to the point of sicking air, thus NO START. Being you have mechanical injectors might make things different.

Spray your fuel lines with brake degreaser to bone dry and if they discolor/darken you have a leak, even though you find no diesel on the ground.

JIM

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Jim,

Thanks for the insight. I always check the floor of the barn after backing out. The only fluid I ever found, actually my grandson found, was power steering fluid. There is a nasty little o-ring lower curbside flywheel end of engine that is notorious for leajing every 2-3 years. I'll clean the fuel lines as suggested and see what happens.

Will,

Try starting it manually from the rear.

Check the 12V DC switch which supplys 12V DC to the DDEC.

Disconnect and reconnect the DDEC connectors to be sure of a proper connection.

Do you have a emergency shutdown switch that maybe flipped, if you have one it should be on the dash. I don't remember if Prevosts have them. I had a GMC4107 and if the switch was tripped it acted just like the situation you discribe.

Check the shutdown solinoid. If the arm is stuck out, no fuel is allowed into the motor.

Kevin, if no fuel is allowed into the motor (makes sense) then why the puff of white smoke?

Fuel is getting in just not air. The Shutdown close the air intake.