Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Bag Aging & the 10 Year Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    David,

I have the trade number for my steer and tag, and my drive axle (630104 is correct), but when I attempted to cross them with a generic air bag I could not. They are proprietary to Prevost unless you want to spend 50% more than what Prevost charges. For the last 15 years there has been nobody on the planet that could beat Prevost air bag prices.
    Thanks Jon,

I'm kind of a chassis and suspension nut. I was hoping for the Goodyear numbers so that I could look up constant pressure curves, load at design height curves, spring rates, and other engineering data. I agree, the Prevost prices look very good.

Steer and tag.........1R11-296 Prevost 630104

Drive.....................1R11-088 Prevost 630126 (I think superceded by 630259)

I tried in vain once to find a generic Firestone, BFG or Goodyear but couldn't.

Thanks Jon!

Yoo Hoo Jon, you reversed the drive & steer/tag. Were you in the squeezins at 4:40 pm?

Truk is right. That's the problem...........I hadn't had an adult beverage.

We are replacing a set on a 97 Marathon XL40 that is being purchased by the founder of CruiseAir. The parts are $1,112.00 from Prevost, and we are having ABC bus do the instal for $1,000 for all 8. The air bags on this coach look much better than the ones Tom pulled. I replaced all 8 on my 92 about 2 years ago, and the old ones looked great. I think that the environment the coach is in has a large impact on how the bags/rubber hold up. My guess is that cold weather is a big contributor to the rubber deteriorating.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

drive axel air bags 10-31-11.jpgGOOD advice. 4 new bags going on as i write.

Air bgs may age more quickly due to a variety of factors. I have no clue what determines if an air bag or tire or the O rings in our Norgren valves ages more or less quickly, but another consideration is salt and corrosion. I have had a 10 year old air bag fail because the steel can on the bottom corroded, no doubt because of living in the snow belt and driving all year.

Whatever the reason for the failure of an air bag the bottom line is the bus will drop down and rest upon the bump stops which are internal and driving it will be dangerous because every bump and pot hole will send shocks right up through the bus frame, and the coach will be down at the lowest setting at the loacation of the failed bag making it unsafely close to the ground for driving.

Peace of mind is worth the cost of air bag replacement

When I bought my '92 this year I had my local "spring shop" do a "if this were your bus" safety check and did all the shocks and bags. Old bags looked ugly. Glad I did. New bags have plastic horns so no rust problem. Can't beat Prevost's parts price. Labor for 8 shocks, 8 bags, steering shocks, 2 air valves, and a bent trailing arm was $2,200. Will be our loss when old shops like this die.

BTW the arm was stupid. It was installed upside down so the adjusting bolt smashed against the frame when the suspension bottomed. Who knows how that happened and when.
    Last edited by Liam; 11-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Do not mean to introduce thread creep but, all this talk about air bags do not forget about the "mini bags" on the engine. I just replaced the one under the tensioner for the serpentine belt that drives the radiator cooling fan and drivers air conditioning compressor. Suffice to say if that bag is lost you can compromise your cooling, both engine and personal, as in the driver. I found the leak at the air inlet fitting portion of the bag that is perhaps the term is vulcanized into the rubber. I will not elaborate on the difficulty of the job, however if I ever find the party who last changed this bag and installed the fitting using Locktite Red............