Thread: Air Bag Aging & the 10 Year Plan

Hybrid View

Default Air Bag Aging & the 10 Year Plan

Just in case you really don't buy Jon's suggestion to change out your bags at 10 years, the proof is in the picture! Mine are original 1996 and although I wasn't having any bag or loss of air issues, I decided to change them out as a PM item along with all the norgren valves. I'm doing the shocks as well, what a deal, they're 42.00 each at Prevost.

So don't let those bags go too long boys, after 15 years, mine were looking pretty bad. Remember, if you blow a bag on the road, your going to get towed or hauled and it's not going to be cheap.

IMG_4452_1.jpg
    IMG_4453_1.jpg
    IMG_4454_1.jpg

Lookin' real good, Tom!

When I did mine, I also replaced all the air tank drain valves too. I had a couple that were starting to seep a little air past them and it was never gonna be easier to get to 'em!

A job I wanted to do only once if at all possible....

Tom, we were actually waiting for the pictures of Nancy in some smok'en hot coveralls as you had promised. The air bag pictures are nice....but

Going to Prevost Jax for service Monday AM. Curious as to what $ I should expect for drive axle bags. My others are fairly new but the drive look like Tom's before pics.

Al - You really believed that stuff!

Woody - The drive bags are 630104 and are 146.03 each.

Tom,

Do you have the Goodyear part number? I think 630104 is the Prevost part number, correct?

Thanks,

When I bought my '92 this year I had my local "spring shop" do a "if this were your bus" safety check and did all the shocks and bags. Old bags looked ugly. Glad I did. New bags have plastic horns so no rust problem. Can't beat Prevost's parts price. Labor for 8 shocks, 8 bags, steering shocks, 2 air valves, and a bent trailing arm was $2,200. Will be our loss when old shops like this die.

BTW the arm was stupid. It was installed upside down so the adjusting bolt smashed against the frame when the suspension bottomed. Who knows how that happened and when.
    Last edited by Liam; 11-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.