Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Bag Aging & the 10 Year Plan

Default Air Bag Aging & the 10 Year Plan

Just in case you really don't buy Jon's suggestion to change out your bags at 10 years, the proof is in the picture! Mine are original 1996 and although I wasn't having any bag or loss of air issues, I decided to change them out as a PM item along with all the norgren valves. I'm doing the shocks as well, what a deal, they're 42.00 each at Prevost.

So don't let those bags go too long boys, after 15 years, mine were looking pretty bad. Remember, if you blow a bag on the road, your going to get towed or hauled and it's not going to be cheap.

IMG_4452_1.jpg
    IMG_4453_1.jpg
    IMG_4454_1.jpg

Lookin' real good, Tom!

When I did mine, I also replaced all the air tank drain valves too. I had a couple that were starting to seep a little air past them and it was never gonna be easier to get to 'em!

A job I wanted to do only once if at all possible....

Tom, we were actually waiting for the pictures of Nancy in some smok'en hot coveralls as you had promised. The air bag pictures are nice....but

Going to Prevost Jax for service Monday AM. Curious as to what $ I should expect for drive axle bags. My others are fairly new but the drive look like Tom's before pics.

Al - You really believed that stuff!

Woody - The drive bags are 630104 and are 146.03 each.

Tom,

Do you have the Goodyear part number? I think 630104 is the Prevost part number, correct?

Thanks,

Woody,

Shop prices. If the air bags cost $150 (round numbers) the drive axle uses 4 so you have $600 in parts and the labor to install should be 4 to 6 hours so on the high side you should expect to pay around $1350 total for the job. Get a firm quote.

In FL you can get a quote from Coach Worx also and my guess is the price will be very much in line with the actual cost of labor and materials. Changing air bags is something that provides a huge benefit relative to the cost. Failure to do so with the result being a blown or failed air bag results in a very expensive trailering or tow job, plus you still have the cost to replace them.

Woody,

Take Jon's advice to heart. It's about a days worth of work. The single decision determining the length of time is figuring out where to "stop".

When I did mine, in addition to the air bags proper, I replaced fittings, some of the air lines, and the tank reservoir drain valves too.

But, it also made sense to do all the Norgren valves and the ride height valves while we were under there.

And, of course, if I was going to all that trouble I might as well change the air dryer filter. Luckily, the shocks had already been changed!

You get the idea....

Quote Originally Posted by travelite View Post
    Tom,

Do you have the Goodyear part number? I think 630104 is the Prevost part number, correct?

Thanks,
    David,

I have the trade number for my steer and tag, and my drive axle (630104 is correct), but when I attempted to cross them with a generic air bag I could not. They are proprietary to Prevost unless you want to spend 50% more than what Prevost charges. For the last 15 years there has been nobody on the planet that could beat Prevost air bag prices.

Good work Trukster!