Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Camping

Terry J. Sturgis Guest

Default Military Camping

Has anyone used the Military Campgrounds (FANCAMPS)? Wife and I are starting at the Pelican Roost campground in Mayport, Florida in November. Does anyone have any recommendations for other FANCAMP'S. Thanks

The is a website dedicated to the military famcamps. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ It is administered by an individule, not the government.

We have stayed at the FE Warren AFB famcamp in Cheyenne during Frontier Days. We feel its the best choice in Cheyenne!

I have stayed in a few of these and they have been pleasant and clean. My problems with them are their usually off the beaten path and I have spent more money in Diesel fuel getting to them then I have saved stay at them.

Haven't actually seen it in person, but we stay at a private campground in Monument, CO just North of the USAF Academy and have been told by many,many that the Campground at the USAF Academy is exquisite. Obviously Pikes Peak is in your basic view all time

Terry J. Sturgis Guest

Thanks for the info. My wife and I will be wandering around Florida for a few months. Being lost in Florida should be better than shoveling snow in Michigan.

Does one need to be a retiree or will a DD214 work?

Can't say for sure, Larry, but I think you must be a retiree... I carry a copy of my DD214 everywhere , myself.

For those who may not know, the Army COE has campsites open to all civilians, and the national senior pass card is applicable as well. These campsites are usually excellent, in my opinion, and almost all if not all are on lakes (man made) and have 50 amps and water, and easily take over 65' RVs in general. Some have full hook ups, but in any case, there is always the dump station. These facilities are in most states, and can accommodate groups. Texas has a number of these facilities. Texas happens to have only one natural lake, Lake Caddo; the COE was involved in most or perhaps all the others. Take at least one opportunity to try them, particularly if you fish or boat, and enjoy wildlife up close. I have not run across any nightly fee over $25, before the discounts for veterans, or senior pass holders (50%). Hope this is useful.
    Last edited by Kenneth Brewer; 10-28-2011 at 03:18 AM.

Ken, that's good to know!

Last time I experienced "military camping" was courtesy of the United States Army.

One might describe those accommodations as "rustic"....

Paul,as a Comedian once noted "Viet Nam sorta took all the thrill out of camping-out". Bless our Prevosts
    Last edited by rahangman; 10-27-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: hypenating