Thread: Collision repair

Unhappy Collision repair

Help! Looking for a competent shop in the upper Midwest to do XL45 body work. A flukey accident requires that I replace two aft bay doors, floor pans, and a bent outer frame tube under the bay door area. I'd like to get this back to "new", with as many NOS parts as may be available. I suppose bay doors will be bone yard pieces. Anybody have a first-hand experience or suggestions? Any experience with ABC-Companies capabilities?

I had the same problem with my coach!!! Lousy pole got in my way----I brought mine to Prevost shop and they did a great job!!!!!! I would do it again, just not the pole!!!

I would be surprised if all was not available new through Prevost. You might also check International Bus Parts.

Thanks for the comments. I too had a good experience at Prevost- Nashville last year for general maintenance and chassis systems repairs. I was looking for a competent shop closer to my area if only to avoid a eleven hour drive and a long commute to baby-sit since I can't stay with it. After looking at the IBP website, I'm feeling better about availability of the right parts for the job...Whew!

Even if you don't have the job done @ Prevost for geographic reasons, I'm certain they (or IBP) would ship the parts.

Thanks I appreciate all the input. At this point it will be either Prevost or ABC Companies in Faribault, MN.

I think the extent of the damage will dictate where you should take the coach. If it is limited to minor bending of the structure of the bay and the bay doors a competent shop such as a charter bus service shop should be able to do a very good job and return the coach in as-new condition. Again depending on the extent of the damage a port-a-power or similar tool can likely be used to straighten any minor frame bending, on both the doors and the chassis structure.

If the damage is more severe and some of the converter installed items have been affected, such as damage to cabinetry in the bay then the repairs need to be done by someone more skilled. Prevost will be expensive, but it will be restored to factory new condition using new parts, not parts bent back into shape. I would be OK with bending the damaged parts back into shape as long as the end result is there is no loss of structural integrity, and the appearance is as new. Saving the cost of driving to a distant Prevost shop makes sense, but only if the repairs can be done right elsewhere. What is saved on the front end may end up being a depreciated value of the coach when it is sold if the repairs are not done properly.

FWIW I had a fire in a previous coach and I documented the damage with photos. I had Prevost do the repairs (the converter portion was unaffected) and they did an outstanding job restoring the coach. I showed the photos to the buyer when I sold the coach and he had no issues with the fact it had been fire damaged because the repairs were done properly.